June 22th, 2018 Pt. 2

Alfred opened his eyes and looked around. Where was he?

Oh.

Portugal's room. The conversation he last had with him came to mind. Suddenly Alfred remember one of the last things he told Portugal.  

How he wished Portugal was his father.

Oh shit.

How could he say that!?!  Oh damn, he probably freaked him out. Portugal probably didn't even want to see him again. 

Fuck, why did he have to always mess things up?

America quickly got out of the bed and headed to the door. But it opened and Portugal stepped in, "Oh you're up. You were really tired."

"How long was I out for?"

"3 hours."

Alfred jumped, "Three hours!!" He frowned, "I missed the meeting... oh man..." He could already hear the taunts of England, France, Russia, and other nations. 

He felt his heart start to pace, he really just had to mess up all the time didn't he? He really didn't know how much more he could take. Crap, he felt sick now.

Portugal, who was right there, noticed everything. As soon as Alfred talked about the meeting, he seemed scared. And now it looked like he was trying to catch his breath.

"Alfred, look at me," He put a hand on America's shoulder, "It's okay. We got some problems solved, besides you were extremely tired. Nothing is your fault."

"I'm sorry," He heard America mutter.

"Huh? For what?"

"What I said to you... about being my father..... I shouldn't have said that," He was looking down to ashamed to face Portugal.

But the man knew, America felt like crying. Alfred was just a child who had the weight of the world on his shoulders. Everyone needed him for something and when something messed up, it was apparently his fault. 

He may physically be 18, which in his country qualified you as an adult. But deep down he was a child. 

Who had been hurt way too many times.

Mentally/Psychologically, emotionally, verbally. He bet that in Alfred's mind, the boy felt like he didn't deserve a father who cared. All the others he had (Minus Sweden and George) had been abusive. 

Portugal shook his head, Alfred shouldn't be sorry for that.

The sick bastards who called themselves his fathers and ended up hurting him should be sorry. They didn't know what would be coming to them soon. Oh yeah, he was gonna get the whole story somehow. 

Portugal looked back at the boy who was still looking down. "Don't be sorry, nothing is or was your fault, ever. And I don't mind."

America shook his head, "But-"

"I promise you, America. I really don't mind, in fact, I'm honored that you think of me that way."

Alfred looked up at him confused. Was he for real? How did he not mind? Did he really want to stain his record with taking him in as a son?

Portugal saw this, "You all, deserved and still do deserve better. I'm so sorry for what you and your family had to go through. If I knew what was happening back in the colonial days......" He trailed off.

He knew there was still so much to learn about what happened during the colony days, but he was gonna find out. One way or another. 

Alfred wanted to believe this but he wasn't sure if he should. Portugal was nice but still.... He wasn't his father or anything... and damn what if he was lying? He never even thought of that.