Rule and Reign

Jenna stared at the cracked screen. A brunett woman in a navy blue suit stood in front of a sleek metal skyscraper that had recently seen some damage.

"I'm Sarah Orville with today's news," the woman announced. "I am reporting live from our new government's base of operations: the building formerly known as Stark Tower. As you know, a few days ago, King Loki and Lord Set appeared and defeated the vigilante group formerly known as the Avengers. They then went to work, quickly overtaking the city and setting up their own government. Today, they are hard at work protecting us civilians and improving this city. I personally believe that this is the best leadership our community has ever seen! What would we ever do without them? Back to you, Earl."

"What would we do without them?" What an interesting question. Jenna sighed and turned off the TV. Nothing but government propaganda since Loki and Set took over. News reporters quickly learned that their new monarchs monitored media feeds and punished those with differing beliefs.

What would she do without them? Watch a news broadcast that did something besides boast about their leaders' glory, for once.

She glanced out the window. The weather seemed nice today. Maybe she'd take a walk. Jenna grabbed a blue jacket and threw her blonde hair into a ponytail.

Cautiously poking her head outside of the apartment building, Jenna glanced around before slowly stepping outside. After trudging down four flights of stairs, she was finally out on the street.

What would she do without them? Be able to use the elevator again. Apparently, the elevators in the city used up too much electricity. "King" Loki had shut them all down.

Though she relished the fresh air filling her lungs, the young woman couldn't ignore her paranoia, knowing all too well that being out in the open like his made her an easy target.

Just last week, Mr. Thomas, Jenna's neighbor, had been mugged. A gang of power-driven hooligans had beaten him up and stolen his wallet. Of course, a group of nearby demons had heard the commotion and came to investigate.

One of the young men had spoken back to the demon wih a hammer for a head - the leader of the group. The gang's bodies had hung from a nearby lamppost for three days before some kind, brave soul finally took them down.

Jenna shuddered at the memory. What would she do wihout them? Be able to step out onto the street without being afraid.

Jenna tugged her hood over her head and started walking. She would just walk a short distance before returning to the safety of her apartment.

As Jenna walked, she gazed at the buildings around her. The ground was covered in a thin layer of glass shards, most likely from broken windows. In the distance, a large, shiny object swooped through the sky.

It was hard to believe that just a few days ago the streets had been clogged with traffic as people slowly inched their way to work. The silence of the city was suffocating.

What would she do without them? Ride the subway again. Be able to travel.

Pops rang out in the distance. Gunfire. Whoever was weilding the weapons would probably head this way soon. Jenna turned back towards her apartment. In this new, lawless world, doors and windows did little to keep out intruders, but Jenna would take every shred of safety she could find.

What would she do without them? Finally feel safe in her own home.

Someone laughed nearby.

Jenna raced up the stairs. She ran into the apartment and slammed the door shut. Her breathing didn't slow until the bolt clicked in the lock.

Male voices hollered in the street. They gradually grew louder and louder. Glass smashed as more windows broke. A splintering sound. . . was that a door breaking? More voices joined the cacophony. A man pleading for mercy. A child's hysterical cry. A woman's terrified scream, abruptly cut off.

Jenna shuddered.

What would she do without them? Live in peace.

Sure, New York wasn't perfect. But it was good enough. People could live and survive. Reporters didn't have to fear being slaughtered if they accidentally voiced the wrong opinion. Families didn't have to wonder if they'd survive the night.

The man's shouts grew louder, more frantic.

Their rights were protected. Every time someone threatened the city's safety, extraordinary people came along. They used their abilities to ensure peace.

The child stopped crying. Forever.

Jenna sat quietly in her apartment and listened as the man's words dissolved into incoherent sobs.

Whenever they were threatened, heroes appeared to bring justice. New York had turned against their heroes, but the city had made a grave mistake. Now, they needed to be saved. Who would help them?

Where were their saviors? Their warriors? Their heroes?

Where were their Avengers?

A/N Hey, guys! It's been a while.

I'm so sorry that the update took this long! I've been trying to write, but basketball season cheer is super busy! My schedule is calming down, so another update should be on its way soon.

Thank you so much for reading!

I have another shout out for a commenter today:
LilDragon202 for the "whale dam" comment in Rescue-thingy! Puns are great!

I'll try to have another chapter out soon. Thanks so much for reading! And, as always. . .

Vote

Fight monsters

Comment

Save the world

Share

Follow me

Thanks!

Bye my Hero Readers!

~CB