"Way to ruin the moment"

We had been driving for around twenty five minutes before we approached Compton. I'd never been before, I've only been told, by my mom, that it wasn't safe. My mom was terrified of guns, so she'll try to avoid as much contact with them as possible, that's why she hates places like Compton, and would be super pissed if she knew I was here.

We turned left at an intersection, continuing to drive until we reached the residential area. The houses were all very similar, the only differences were that they were different colours and some had steel fences, others didn't. The street seemed to be continuing on forever, until we stopped outside a green bungalow, slightly larger than the rest on the street.

I didn't know how many friends there were, but I hope there weren't many as I'm pretty shit in social situations. I assume Rex was there, so at least that's one more familiar face. I could feel butterflies forming in my stomach; there was nothing worse than being the only one there who isn't friends with everyone.

We walked over to the door, stepping up onto the porch's paint-chipped stairs, that creaked under every bit of movement. Without knocking Leo opened the door, leading me into an open plan sitting room and kitchen.

"Yo, DiCaprio!" Someone yelled as we walked in. I walked forward to stand beside Leo, so I was able to put the voice to a face. It was Kendrick Banks, he was a senior last year and captain of the football team, his football even got him a scholarship to CU.

He was slouched on the couch with his arm around a girl, who I recognised but couldn't exactly remember where from.

"Introduce us," Rex said, looking back and forth between Leo and I.

"Rex, you already know who Nina is," Leo replied.

"I know, but the others don't," Rex continued, earning an eye roll from Leo.

"Ok, well Nina this is Mlak, she goes to our school," he gestured towards the girl who's Kendrick's arm was around. She had light olive skin, dark brown hair that was slightly curled and deep brown eyes that I envied, she smiled softly at me and I smiled in return. I recognised her from my bio class, she sat at the back, carving doodles into the desks for most of the lesson.

"And you know Rex and probably Kendrick," he turned to me and I nodded, "this is Dani, she also goes to our school."

I looked over to the girl slouched on a beanbag next to the couch, a bottle of Coke in her hand.
She had striking blue eyes and light brown hair that sat just below her shoulders, she waved a little before taking a sip of her drink.

"And then here's Amelie and Jo, they live here."

Jo waved a little at me before reaching over to a cooler and grabbing a non-alcoholic beer, it was the beer my dad let me drink when I was visiting him, I'm pretty sure he still thought I had never had alcohol at a party by the way he acts when giving me a glass of champagne. She had golden brown skin and long dark hair that was tied up into a ponytail.

Amelie had a smiley face and long blonde hair, slightly lighter than mine, her eyes were a deep blue with a slight brown tint around the pupil.

In the last hour or so that I had been here, I got to learn a lot more about Leo's friends: Jo was a high school dropout, Amelie was from Wisconsin, Mlak wanted to go to art school, Danielle wanted an academic or sports scholarship for the University of Houston, Rex had no fucking clue what he wants to do with his life and Kendrick wanted to play football for the New England Patriots, since his dad was from Connecticut.

Leo pulled up his sleeve and looked at his watch before looking back at me.
"I think Nina and I need to get going now," he announced to the room, picking up his jacket that was on the arm of the couch beside him.
"Other plans?" Rex asked, with a suggestive grin, causing Leo to shoot daggers in his direction.