"is there something wrong with me?"

Thanks for 17k!

Nina's POV

I sighed when I spotted Leo in the hall; we'd been back at school a week and Leo had been avoiding me. He ditched history on all three occasions, he'd walk away every time he saw me so I never got the opportunity to talk to him.

He made eye contact with me but I turned away and opened my locker, I was done trying to talk to him. It was just like before we knew each other, to him I was just another face in the hall and I guess I'd have to see him that way too.

When we got home, I decided to watch a movie as I was feeling down. My brother came in and jumped on the couch next to me.

"What're we watching?" He asked.

"1969," I answered.

"Ugh, can't you go watch this upstairs," he huffed.

"I'm sorry, but sometimes I want to watch stuff on the bigger tv. So I guess you'll just have to play your video games and watch Die Hard another time."

He huffed again, deciding not to answer back and just watch the movie.
"Nina?" He asked a little while later.

"Yeah?"

"Where do you think you'll go to college?" He asked me, out of the blue.

I shrugged, "I'm not sure. I've applied for UCLA, Texas Christian University, Washington State and Stanford. I'm not sure I'll get into Stanford though, or TCU for that matter."

"I don't want you to leave, it'll be so boring at home,"  he whined.

I laughed, "glad to know you feel that way about me bud."

My mom walked in the room, a frustrated yet exhausted expression laden on her face, "Well, my work screwed up my meetings and conferences so now I have to go to Seattle," she sighed, bringing her hand to her head.

"Oh really? When?" I asked her, sitting up a little.

"In just over a week, I'm really sorry kids," she apologised.

"Don't worry mom, we'll be fine," Cyrus said with a reassuring smile. She smiled in return but her eyes were still tired.

"Well, I have to take some calls," she said before going back to her office.

I watched the movie but my mind was certainly somewhere else. Leo was all I could think about, everything was fine when we were at the party so what made him ignore me? Maybe I shouldn't give up on confronting him, I guess I could try one last time.

Next Thursday

Yet another week passed and I hadn't been able to speak to Leo as I hadn't seen him around at all; either he hadn't shown up to school much or I just kept missing him.

But today I saw him, he was standing outside the front of the school with Rex. Rex then walked inside and I saw my opportunity to go talk to him. I walked up to him, my confidence slightly wavering as I did.

"Leo," I said, lightly tapping his arm causing him to turn around, his normally steel blue eyes now looked grey and sad.

"I'm sorry," he simply said, brushing past me and going inside. I turned around but I didn't go after him, I felt hot tears begin to sting my eyes but I wiped them away before they could fall down my face; crying at school was one of the most embarrassing things.

"Nina?" I heard a voice call out my name, I turned to see Mlak standing there, her brows furrowed slightly, forming a sympathetic look on her face, "are you ok?"