Chapter 24 - Is it a Video Game Remote?

Whew! Another two and a half days of  summer gone by. I just realized. Summer is more than half way over. (insert crying face.) But, I can take my mind off the shortness of summer by updating again! Yay! So, here's another update. Brought to you by your's truly, Ahey.

Percy's POV

I flew back to the Chaos Cabin, deep in thought about what that boxy thingy could have been. A remote control airplane controller? No. Jake's not that fun. A super secret device for making pancakes? Nah, but I wish. A video game remote? Nada. None of these ideas seemed like Jake. They all seemed like me. Except for the remote control airplane idea. It scares me to fly in a plane. Cause, you know, the whole Zeus fiasco when I was 12. Then why do I have wings, and why do I use them? I have no idea. Wait. I'm getting off track and talking to myself. This is getting weird.

I landed in front of the Chaos Cabin, with Neptune back in full size. We both ducked through the doors, and Neptune shouted, Was-sup peeps?!

I looked at him. "Seriously?"  I said out loud. "First you blow my cover and front of Jake and now you're yelling Was-sup peeps to all my friends?"

Sorry, he told me. I just got carried away. This girl from the Hermes Cabin says it all the time, and it's staring to rub off on me.

All of my fellow Chaos Warriors gave me strange looks. And not because my dragon used slang. "You said Neptune blew your cover? What cover?" Asked Silena. She had her arm around Beckendorf. They were married as well as Luke and Bianca. Weird combination, Luke and Bianca. I never would have thought that they would get together. I don't think they had even met before they joined the Wings of Chaos Warriors. Theseus and Jason both had girlfriends back on Planet Chaos in the Chaos Army, and, well, the rest were single.

Speaking of Theseus and Jason, where were the three Ancient Greek heroes? "Hey Annabeth?" She looked up from the couch she was leaning over. "Where are Theseus, Jason, and Atalanta?"

"Oh, Chaos told them he needed the three for another mission when I was on Planet Chaos trying to get him to save Leo," she responded casually.

Wait. Leo! I had totally forgotten after the meeting with Jake. "Wait, Leo? Is he alright? Is he alive? Did Chaos save him? Is he dead? Where is he?" I spewed out a bunch of questions at once.

Annabeth looked slightly annoyed with me. "Yes. Yes. Yes. No. He is right here." She moved aside to show me Leo, who was laying on the couch in the corner of the living room. 

"Hey Perce," he groaned. "Took you long enough to notice me." I smiled, glad to see he was alive, and reached down to hug him. That was when I noticed is injuries.

His ankle was twisted the wrong way and his ribs were definitely broken. How could I tell he had broken ribs without an X-Ray machine? Actually, I didn't really want to think about it. Something was poking up through his shirt, and I didn't think it was something I wanted to know about.

I looked long and hard at Annabeth. She looked back, and I could tell she was upset. I waited for her to explain. "I took Leo to Planet Chaos to see if Chaos would heal him," she began. "He said he didn't heal average citizens from one planet out of quinvingintillions of planets. 

(Quinvigintillions is actually a number place value. 78 zeroes. Mind. Blown.)

 I had to turn to the job and tell him that without Leo, we wouldn't be able to complete our mission. Thankfully, since Chaos is all about business, he would't let Leo die if he was important to our mission. Unfortunately, he left the major but not as threatening injuries for us to heal the old fashioned way." She groaned. "Ambrosia, nectar, and a whole lot of gauze." I didn't know what gauze was, so I decided to just pretend to understand her. 

Leo grinned, then winced at the small movement. "Yep, and in a few months, I'll probably be good as new!" I looked down at Leo.

"Dude, you are not even close to good as new. You'll probably be on crutches for a month and a half." 

He frowned at that. "Darn. But I wonder if I could make something to help me walk without waiting for the next several months to pass by in a wheel chair. Cause lets face it. I'd rather be in a wheel chair for a month and a half than on crutches. No offence to Grover of course."

I remembered Grover, my former best friend. Our friendship had ended when Jake had pulled all of the wild flowers out of the woods, burned a part of Juniper's tree, and framed me. But I quickly pulled myself out of the past and explained to Leo, "You do that. Serilda, can you run and get some tools for him out of the workshop?"

She groaned. "Seriously dad? Can't someone else do it? Like Luke!" 

Luke held his hands up. "Hey! Leave me out of this. I'm not running errands for your daughter, Percy." 

I looked at Serilda. "Listen to Luke and go get the tools." She groaned and stormed out of the cabin, pulling her hood up along the way. Leo shouted the tools he needed to fix his ribs and his ankle from the couch. 

Then he looked at me. "Gee Percy, nice fathering skills. By the way. You never told me you had a daughter!"

I shrugged and glanced at Annabeth. "Brain child, long story. Moving on to a different topic."

Leo shrugged. "Ok, but you definitely have to tell me that story later." 

"Different topic." I clasped my hands together. "Earlier today I was spying on Jake in the woods."

Everyone leaned forward anticipatedly. Except Leo. He was fiddling with a metal screw that just happened to be in the pocket of his jeans. When I paused my announcement to glare at him, he looked up. "Go on." I rolled my eyes and continued.

"Jake had pulled out a shiny, silver, rectangular box with a long antennae that sent out a signal that looked like purple waves." Annabeth froze. 

"A small silver rectangular box with an antennae that sends out a signal of purple waves?" 

"Yes, that's what I just said," I responded. "Is something wrong? Do you know what it is?" I questioned after I saw her face. It was her thinking face, the one where she scrunched her eyebrows together in concentration.

"Nothing. It's just, I think I have an idea of what it is," Annabeth told me. I looked at her expectantly, waiting for her to continue. But she didn't. "I don't want to say anything in case I'm wrong. Which, hopefully I am. I just have to see the device in person to confirm it."

Obviously, I wanted to know more. I could tell all of the other warriors did too. Wow. I think this is one of the only times that I had ever craved knowledge. But I knew Annabeth. Once she set her mind to something, she wouldn't change it. Meaning, she wouldn't tell me what the device could possibly be unless she saw it in person.

"That's where the good news comes in," I said. "Jake caught me spying on him, but I pretended to be looking for him to challenge him to another duel."

Adria grabbed the edge of her seat and leaned closer to me. "Did you challenge him to another duel? Please say you did. I want to see you kick his butt again!"

"I will. An I'm hoping that while we're fighting that I can slip the device off of him to study it," I explained.

Annabeth snapped her fingers. "Perfect! Now I can get a good, up close look at it." She leaned on my shoulder and pecked my cheek. "Maybe you aren't such a seaweed brain." 

Serilda, who had gotten back from the camp tool shed a couple minutes ago, covered her eyes. As did the rest of the single warriors. I laughed. "Come on guys. Go out, get a date. Then maybe you won't be disgusted by something as small as a kiss on the cheek." 

Adria groaned. "Eww, no thank you. I'd rather kick butt, not date."

I shrugged. "Your loss." And we left the room to get ready for the next day, seeing as dinner had already passed.

Yes! You finally found out what happened to Leo. He's not dead! Hooray! Now onto the next chapter, where Percy will once again face off his annoying half brother. Well, not anymore. See you soon!
        -Ahey