In the Span of a Single Night

Good News: I updated on Thursday like I promised
Bad News: I never published the chapter because I never finished. 
Why? I was introduced to a Rick Riordan contest where the winner gets an all expense payed trip to New York to meet him!!!!!!!!!! Of course I entered, and that's why I've been pretty much non-existent on Wattpad all weekend. I mailed it today, so cross my fingers that I will win. I'm praying so hard right now you guys. The prompt was to write a two paged story on what would happen if you found out one of your parents was a god or goddess. The flyer is posted below. Anyways, I wanted to post my story and see if you guys thought that I had a chance. 

(Analiese isn't my real name. I also took out my age because I want to keep my real identity private.)

So yeah

So yeah. Here's my story. 

In the Span of a Single Night

"Look, I didn't want to be a half-blood."

Footsteps sounded on the stairs. Pages rustled, covers shifted, and I snapped the book shut. Quickly placing my palm over the end of the flashlight, I layed back on my pillow and tried to even my breathing. I sensed the door opening, a crack of light flooding the room, but I stayed as stiff as a statue. Eventually, my father receded his head back into the hallway and shut the door to my room with a mouselike squeak from the hinges.

Breathing a sigh of relief, I sat myself back up and returned my attention to the book. The pages were yellowed, torn, and wrinkled with water stains. Out of the corner of my eyes, I could barely make out the time. 11:32 pm, two and a half hours passed my required bedtime.

Percy Jackson, the only person who kept me sane through the tough days of school and club soccer, was so much more than a myth to me. He was a best friend, an inspiration, and the bravest person I knew. That is, if he was real.

Who wouldn't want to be a half-blood? Sure, demigods narrowly avoided getting torn to pieces on a daily basis, but fighting a hydra seemed like ten steps up from learning the history of the U.S. government. Instead of my job being to solve advanced algebra math equations, my homework would be to save lives.

I stifled a wide yawn. Tonight would be the eleventh time I reread the series, if I managed to stay awake. My eyelids fluttered, and "the Lightning Thief" flopped onto my stomach. I weakly flipped the off switch on the silver flashlight, and sunk into my pillow. The eleventh reread of the series could wait until tomorrow. However, falling asleep tonight proved to be a lot more difficult than I expected.

Voices sounded outside my window. Usually, I would ignore them. A group of boys skated around the block every night around ten. It was most likely them. Then I remembered the time. Midnight was approaching, darkness engulfing the inhabitants of Alta Vista Avenue. The strangers' voices increased as one began complaining to the other. I crawled over to my window sill, intending to shut them up, when I heard a sentence that stopped me in my tracks.