36.

I sat in the study and waited for Monty to return. I had said goodnight to Cody and I knew she would be here as soon as Cody was asleep.

But twenty minutes turned to forty minutes then the next thing I knew, two hours passed. I tried to keep myself busy, but Monty's words from the other night still stung. Was I always so serious and moody? No fun? I know I lost a part of me even before I was told about Conner. Like I knew deep down he was truly gone. But I've never really noticed my mood had become so...austere. No one has told me before, but no one has the guts like Monty to be so opinionated towards me, sober, tipsy or drunk.

I frowned. I knew she was intrigued about what I said. I gave up on waiting and turned the lights off in the study.

I locked the house up and went upstairs and knocked on her bedroom door. No answer. I decided to check her room to see if she is in there and before checking Cody's room.

I slowly opened the door to reveal a dark room. Then I noticed the lamp on in the closed of verandah.

I made my way there and found her. Monty was sprawled on the sofa, asleep. Her tablet on her stomach with a faint glow. I picked it up and noticed she was reading a book.

I locked it and placed it on her dresser and retuned to her. I knelt down and watched her sleep.

I could leave her here and cover her with a blanket or I could carry her to her bed. That one ran a risk of waking her. But I really felt like talking to her and teasing her.

But for me to have a chance of that tonight, I would have to wake her completely and I really didn't want to do that. She looked so peaceful.

What a conundrum. I brushed back some hair off her face and let out a breath. I gave in to the right thing and in a quick sweep, I picked Monty up. I was only a couple steps away from her bed when I stilled as she snuggled her head in to me.

I felt her hand come up and feel my chest and face. "What are you doing?" She yawned.

"Putting you to bed. You fell asleep on the sofa." I stepped to her bed and placed her down.

Monty rubbed her face as she sat up.

Great, now I woke her. "Lay back down and go back to sleep."

Monty shook her head at me. "I need to have a shower." Came her groggy voice as she rubbed an eye.

I sat on the end of her bed as she took her legs off and looked at me. "What are you doing in here?"

"I was expecting you to give me the one hundred questions earlier."

I saw her eyes widen. "I was. Then I forgot. Cody was restless."

I watched as she stretched her back and rubbed her neck.

"I am interested." Monty had a fresh set of batteries in.

"Fine." I faked a disappointed sigh. "I'm going to finish some paperwork in my room."

Monty left the room and I shortly followed to go to my room.

I had the paperwork from the signed papers from Sarah. The blood work won't be in till next week. I won't be available till next week. I'll be stressing this over till next week.

Monty was taking her time again and I hoped she didn't opt for a bath instead. I relaxed on my sofa while I waited, the over head lamp on, sorting the paperwork in its proper piles, signing where I needed, making sure I read each paragraph properly.

Monty gave a light tap as she walked in and closed the door with her hip. I saw her carrying two coffee mugs as she sauntered over in loose cotton pants and a tight singlet.