01 | coffee rainclouds

The strong aroma of freshly made coffee lingered in the air of small chatters filling the sunset hour of the cosy café. Warm delicate cups formed a faint cloud of steam as they were placed on the counter, waiting to be devoured by caffeine lovers that would run in their veins while peaked, fluffy white cream was topped with the bittersweet taste of dark chocolate on top of a cold iced coffee that was served popular among the teenagers in the busy streets.

Charcoal coloured walls destined to be kissed with trails, scribbles, calligraphy and a masterpiece made from a single material leave white dust among one's fingers after a long day of decorating in hopes to bring lights to the customer's eyes, mainly the dreamers.

Simple tables, chairs and sofas were placed in a way that small groups would gather for hidden secrets, untold stories, fun banters and engrossing their minds in the logical world whenever the education system conducted an exam. Some were placed in the form of pairs to share sweet nothings, shared memories and simple promises while some were placed in the form where loners would linger for hours to escape in their own world beyond the plugged earphones along with a story in their hands while sipping a cup of their favourite type of coffee.

Edison lights from around the café flickered on as the sun outside was descending faster than one would think as they busied themselves with their own lives. The honey lights weren't too vivid or too dark, but three of them were enough to light up the large café that recently opened a few weeks ago.

The steamy milk pouring from the pitcher in her hands easily flowed into the signature espresso, turning the glistening cup due to the lights reflecting them. Steady hands moved in a slow motion in the center before they moved in a zig-zag motion. Placing the pitcher back on the counter, she picks up a basic tool and let her mind flow with the steamy milk, eventually looking like a white foam floating along with the beverage. A small sigh left her lips when she finished the small piece of artwork on the circular canvas.

Sliding the mild beverage across the wooden counter, she tapped on the bell at the side before shouting out another stranger's name. A lady who seemed to be in her thirties wearing a dress eventually came by before her gaze flickered over her freshly made order, the corners of her lips curling slightly.

"It's beautiful. Thank you. " She complimented while she carefully lifted the warm cup with her fingers along with a napkin.

"Enjoy your Espresso Latte," Sakura smiled at her, receiving a grateful smile from her as well, walking off to find a seat.

She licked her dry lips and grabbed a bottle of water below the counter as she glanced at the clock, only to see it was currently 7PM, an hour left before the shop closes.

"People are starting to notice your art these days," she turns around to see her manager who was leaning against the staff door outside of the counter.

A chuckle left her lips. "That depends if the coffee I made taste as good as yours, Haru-san."

Haru walked over and placed a key over the counter. "Can you close again tonight? I need to fetch my brother from my grandma's house. And how many times have I told you to call me Haru?"

Sakura nods and chuckles at that. "You know me, Haru."

"Remember that I'm only twenty-three, not forty." She pouted for a moment before entering the counter area while tying her candy pink hair. "Go and take a break. I'll let you know that I'll be off in about thirty minutes."

The younger girl hums at that and made her way to the staff room.

The constant chatters from countless of customers she didn't pay any mind to count snapped her out of the 4-hour daze she was in when she finally closed the door behind her, sighing as she rubbed her eyes to wonder if she was still in a dream or the cold reality.