51 |8| a moon's embrace

"Wait, wait. So you need me to help you set up a picnic set at—wherever the hell that is—right before Sakura's party?

"Yep."

"And why me of all people?"

"Um, no reason...? I-I don't know. It's just my gut."

Kirishima sheepishly smiled at the manager of Blackbox with Ashido by his side, nervously observing the pondering look on Haru's expression.

Tomorrow was Sakura's birthday, and the redhead knew he was rushing. Well, mainly because he only discovered her birthday yesterday, but that didn't stop him from planning thoroughly for Sakura-chan's special surprise. It all went perfectly in his head, and he could imagine the smile on her lips shining so vividly and he himself couldn't help but smile at the thought too. But of course, without the help of a few friends and acquaintances, he couldn't pull it off.

Suddenly, a small smirk crawled on Haru's lips as she gazed back at Kirishima in which it made him gulp imperceptibly.

"Well, because I ship you and Sakura—then yes. After all, she's my friend," she winked.

"U-Um, okay...? Thanks though! I-I'll tell you about the, um—I'll be coming by early tomorrow so be ready. I guess." Kirishima stuttered along his words while ignoring the heat invading his cheeks, almost grimacing at the grin Ashido gave him when she listened to the discussion.

"Holy shit, her manager ship you guys too? The day's getting better and better." Ashido beamed as both of them strolled out of the café while Kirishima led them to a certain music store.

"Shut up," the redhead squeezed his cheeks to get rid of the warmth. "Sooner or later, I feel like everyone's going to expose me so please don't put me in misery."

The pink girl giggled. "Don't worry about it. We all got your back, except that one day you have to inevitably tell her about your feelings. The longer you hold back, the more it feels suffocating to be around her, ya know?"

"I know," he sighed, shoving his hands into his pockets. "But I just—I'm just not ready yet. I mean, it's too soon. We've known each other for about two months now so there's no way she'd see me... this way... you know?"

Although the notion of preparing for Sakura's birthday was starting to sound fun, he didn't know whether to refer to her as a friend or the certain someone that he wants to be with on most days. Kirishima liked both resolutions, but being with her—to be hers—sounded so much better than being just a friend.

Of course, he heard of cases of his old friends getting 'friend-zoned' in middle school, but he couldn't imagine the idea of it in high school. And again, he was being cliché, but who knows high school romance might be the worst ever when the things that you hope for wouldn't come true?

"Come on. Don't say that. I'm pretty sure she saw something in you. After all, you're the go-to guy in class. Everyone likes you. Hell, Bakugou sees you as a friend earlier than the rest of us."

Red brows scrunched a little. "What are you trying to say?"

"I'm saying that you're... likeable? Don't get me wrong. You're like one of nicest people in school so I guess—nice people like nice people...?"

There was a pause.

"You know, for someone who says she's not an expert in love—you're pretty bad at this." Kirishima burst into small chuckles when Ashido hit her own forehead at her bad attempt.

"At least I'm learning. And maybe you're learning too. Learning how to love and all. You're really growing up huh?" She nudged an elbow at her friend, shit-eating grin that made the redhead roll his eyes.