56 | synched hearts

Sakura had nothing but sadness.

Most of it was just vain cries and thorny hearts paired together to make her feel like some worthless of a human being in this world. She has been through things that might sound far worse than anything she had faced. But this—this war against a crippled world in which she escaped the battles, has always kept chasing her until it caught up, dragging her down to the depths of a broken reverie. Perhaps she was getting tired of trying to fight this war on her own, knowing that if she kept going, she would lose the battle but yet, the war wasn't over. She had to let go of certain things so the world would be far less cruel so the ruination wouldn't become an epidemic to the people she came to adore.

Waking up to the sound of distant waves and brushing of trees and branches was something new and fresh compared to the ringing silence in her own room—the sound of lost souls.

But if she listened carefully, she could hear a thumping heart, enthralling her ears like a song.

Tired, heavy eyelids fluttered open to see scarlet strands resting loosely on his cheeks and jaw, body laid on his side facing her as she felt his free hand caressing the back of her head tenderly, so tender she might fall back asleep. His other arm was wrapped around her, hand resting on her back.

"Sakura?"

Up until now, she has always wondered why a certain tightening feeling would intertwine with a heart like her, but now it's about time she accepts it and embraces it.

She tilted her head up just a little to meet his gaze, and they were apprehended from the small bags underneath, reminding her about the previous night. She felt his strong grip around her loosened when she was already waking up, while his other hand seized its movement from caressing her head. Slowly, the corners of his lips curled up, an endearing smile shining its light on her.

"Morning, Sakura-chan."

She would be lying if she said she didn't miss that nickname leaving his lips, but when it comes to the point when she was desperate, she could only hope moments like this last longer.

"Good morning, Eijirou-san.." And for the first time in days, she lets a small smile crawl on her lips, finally a reason to really smile for something—someone.

"Did you sleep well?"

"Um, yeah.. You?"

A soft chuckle left his lips, his hand caressing her head again. "Yeah. Was' a bit cold but at least I have someone to keep me warm."

Eijirou has never been very good with trying to filter his kind words. He has always been honest to his heart, and that seemed to be dangerous for a heart like hers.

Her gaze averted from him, warmth crawling to her neck, pressing into him further, hiding her flushed face into his chest. As if the words suddenly registered into his mind, he tensed up.

"U-Um," Sakura secretly smiled into his chest when she imagined the flustered expression on his face. "I mean the grass. They're um, good material for warmth. Apparently."

She couldn't help the laugh slipping off her lips. "You're so adorable." She finally glanced up, immediately noticing the complete, utter hysteria look on his face, a rosy blush dusted across his cheeks. "It's okay. I like it like this."

The colour visible on his cheeks grew deeper, abruptly pulling away before he turned to the other side, causing her to let out another laugh.

"H-Hey!" She managed to say as she got up to seat on the grass where they laid, watching the redhead covering his face with the help of his loose strands.