•the code•

"ɪᴛ's ɪɴᴇᴠɪᴛᴀʙʟᴇ ᴇᴠᴇʀʏᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴀᴛ's ɢᴏᴏᴅ ᴄᴏᴍᴇs ᴛᴏ ᴀɴ ᴇɴᴅ ɪᴛ's ɪᴍᴘᴏssɪʙʟᴇ ᴛᴏ ᴋɴᴏᴡ ɪғ ᴀғᴛᴇʀ ᴛʜɪs ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ sᴛɪʟʟ ʙᴇ ғʀɪᴇɴᴅs, ʏᴇᴀʜ"

~ ᴏɴᴇ ᴅɪʀᴇᴄᴛɪᴏɴ 'ʟᴏᴠᴇ ʏᴏᴜ ɢᴏᴏᴅʙʏᴇ'

I left the Gilbert home before the sun even rose, only because my dad had gotten home and wondered where I was and what the hell was going on in this town.

So here I was at five in the morning sitting in our kitchen that was packed up around up in boxes no thanks to him.

I had explained everything he had missed all the way up to the sacrifice and Elena's death.

"She's dead?" He asked surprised.

"We trusted Elijah. I mean I even trusted him but he fell through. I should of expected it though Klaus is his brother." I said as he just sat in thought.

"I'm sorry I left you through all of this." He said and I looked away.

"Listen you can't go back and change the past but you can stay and do your best to give us a good future." I said and he nodded.

"That's what I want. That's why we are leaving this house. I want us to start over and to do that we have to be honest with each other." He said and I squinted lightly. Did he know something? Did he want me to confess?

"I'm seeing the sheriff, like dating." He said and my eyes widened as my mouth formed an o.

"Liz? Oh." I said not knowing how to react. It didn't bother me, I loved Liz but it was just very shocking.

"I hope you are okay with that." He said and I nodded.

"I am. That's great but just to be clear don't expect any family dinners anytime soon. Caroline and I aren't okay." I said and he nodded.

"Crystal." He said and I smiled.

"I was thinking maybe I should be prepared, learn to be a better fighter and learn all the things that you could still teach me you know, with Klaus in town." I said and he nodded. He seemed happier.

"Yeah maybe a few things more." He said with a light smile.

"But we're going to have a new code. Nous protègons ceux qui ne peuvent pas se protèger eux-měmes." I said and his face hardened before softening again.

"We protect those who cannot protect themselves." He said translating the French I had just spoken.

"Things will be different but to insure our safety you need to promise you'll stop going after the Mikaelsons. We can't take them on, and I can't risk losing you too." I said and he nodded. But in my heart there was another reason I wanted to stop going after them, maybe because I remember the thing Klaus said when he was Alaric.

"Klaus is not here for you, he's here for Elena and as nice of a girl she is your life is not worth hers."

"We will do everything in our power to ensure the safety of the people in this town but we will not directly be going after them unless they become a threat."I said and all Chris could do was agree. He was proud with how strong his daughter had become but yet he knew she hadn't gotten it from him but from Alaric and even maybe a certain blue eyed Salvatore. 

I had been at home packing for the last day with my dad. It was weird but things had finally started to feel normal that was until Stefan came knocking on my door. Unluckily for him Chris had answered the door.