Nerf Wars

Warnings: None

Word Count: 1254

You grabbed the bags of groceries from the backseat of your car before bumping the door closed with your hip. At this point, you weren't completely sure how you were going to get the front door open with your hands full, but where there's a will, there's a way.

After a bit of struggle with the keys, the front door was open and you were safely inside, groceries still in hand. The house was oddly quiet for a typical afternoon, and you were a little unsettled.

"Hello?" you called, taking a couple steps further into the house.

Your husband, Tyler, suddenly popped out from behind the couch, causing you to almost drop the grocery bags that you were carrying. He was red in the face, and he was carefully scanning the living room.

"Shh, they'll hear you," he said, his eyes narrowed.

"What in the world are you doing?" you whispered, not yet sure exactly what you were hiding from.

"The kids," he said, holding up a nerf gun, "they're after me. I recommend you find a way to defend yourself."

As if on cue, your oldest son ran into the room, nerf gun in hand. Tyler quickly dived behind the couch before he could be seen.

"Mom!" he smiled upon seeing you. "Have you seen Dad? I thought I heard him talking..."

"Nope, haven't seen him," you smiled innocently as you walked towards the kitchen.

Your son pulled a walkie talkie out of his pocket. "Moose. Pigeon. This is lion reporting in from the living room, it's all clear. Over."

He tucked the walkie talkie back into his shorts before running upstairs. Once he was gone, Tyler got up from behind the couch and walked over to join you in the kitchen. He stood behind you and wrapped his arms around your waist, resting his head on your shoulder.

"These kids are relentless. They've been chasing me around the house for an hour."

"That explains why you're so red in the face," you smiled, patting his arm.

"Hey, I'm not as young as I used to be!"

"I know." You turned and kissed his cheek. "Now why don't you help me unpack these groceries before another one of the kids comes looking for you?"

Together, you and Tyler began to unpack the groceries. Upstairs, you could hear your kids running around and opening various doors, still on the hunt for Tyler.

You and Tyler were on the last bag of groceries when your daughter ran down the stairs. Her eyes landed on Tyler and went wide.

"He's down here with Mom!" she yelled to her brothers. "Freeze!"

Tyler lunged for his nerf gun and aimed it at your daughter, "I'm not going down without a fight!"

Your two other sons appeared on the stairs, their nerf guns pointed at Tyler as well. You didn't envy the position he was in, your kids could be ruthless when it came to nerf gun wars.

"Surrender now or face the wrath of the Joseph children!" your oldest son announced.

Tyler looked over at you. You raised your eyebrows and shrugged, there wasn't much he could do to help himself in this situation.

"So what's your choice, Dad?" your daughter asked.

With a sigh, Tyler set his nerf gun down on the couch and raised his hands up, "I surrender."

The kids began to cheer, giving each other high fives. Tyler walked over and gave each of the kids a hug, congratulating them on capturing him.

"I'm hungry," your youngest son said, walking over and looking up at you.

"Did the war make you hungry?" you smiled, ruffling his hair a little bit.

He smiled and nodded proudly.

"Alright, I'll make you three some mac and cheese for lunch. How does that sound?"

All the kids cheered, which you took as a yes. They all ran off once again, leaving just you and Tyler.

"How did we end up with such amazing kids?" Tyler smiled, leaning up against the counter.

"Because they have an amazing dad," you answered, giving him a quick kiss.

"Are you kidding? You're the superhero around here."

"Hardly," you scoffed.

Tyler shook his head, deciding that trying to argue against you was useless, even if he knew he was right.

"Just wait until we have four of them running around," Tyler laughed.

"Don't remind me," you sighed, resting your hand on your stomach. Your bump was just barely starting to show. "Would you mind cutting up some fruit and veggies for the kids? My back is killing me and I'd like to sit down and rest for a little bit."

"Of course," Tyler answered, already looking through the fridge.

You walked over and took a seat on the couch. Your back immediately began to feel better. Of course, your relaxation didn't last long as your daughter came running up to you.

"Mom! Mom!"

"Yes, sweetheart?"

"Can we practice reading?"

"Of course, why don't you go find a book?"

"Ok!" she squealed before running over to the bookshelf. She looked through all of the books carefully, making sure to pick a good one.

She climbed up onto the couch and curled up next to you, book in hand.

"Are you ready?" she asked, looking up at you.

You nodded. She examined the title of the book for a moment before starting to read, occasionally stumbling over the words. You sat patiently, helping her whenever necessary. It took awhile, but you eventually made it through the entire book.

"I did it!" your daughter smiled proudly.

"Yes you did!" you said, pulling her into a half hug.

"Lunch!" Tyler called.

You had completely forgotten about the mac and cheese while you were helping your daughter read, but Tyler, being the wonderful husband that he was, had taken over to make sure it got ready. He even went so far as to set everything out on the table for the kids.

Your daughter walked over and took her spot at the table. The boys came running down the stairs shortly after, and your oldest even went so far as to jump over the last two steps. You could have sworn you could see the slightest hint of a smile on Tyler's face as he did so.

"Y/N, aren't you going to come eat your lunch with the family?" Tyler asked.

You turned to face the table, your eyebrows furrowed. Sure enough, a sandwich and a glass of water were set out at your spot at the table. You couldn't help but smile at Tyler's sweet gesture.

"Thank you so much," you said to Tyler as you took your spot at the table.

"It's the least I could do after you went grocery shopping and covered for me earlier," he smiled.

"So you did know where he was!" your oldest exclaimed, pointing his mac and cheese covered fork at you.

"I'll admit, I may have lied about knowing your dad's whereabouts." You held your hands up in defeat.

"Traitor!" your youngest chimed in.

"Are you calling your mom who so nicely made you lunch a traitor?" Tyler asked.

Your son narrowed his eyes for a moment, as if thinking about his next words very carefully, "Fine, you can get away with it this time."

"But we're watching you," your daughter added ominously.

The kids continued to eat their mac and cheese, looking as if they were plotting some evil plan. Tyler shared a look with you; you two were going to have to watch your backs from now on.