Accidental Surprise

Warnings: None

Word Count: 1249

Request: Idk if you're doing requests but maybe proposal???? -spidrparkr

Author's Note: I wanted to do something a little different than the typical proposal fic, so hopefully you enjoy it! :)

*     *     *

"The closet is done," Tyler said, emerging from the bathroom and sitting down on the edge of the bed. He ran a hand through his hair a few times, brushing the strands away from his sweaty forehead.

Now that the band was finished touring for awhile, you and Tyler had decided to deep clean your house just in time for summer to begin. Today's task was your bedroom, which meant reorganizing the closet and dresser, cleaning the bathroom and sorting through old bottles of shampoo, and putting your bed sheets through the wash, among other things. It was a lot of work, though Tyler's company and the music playing through the speaker made it a little more bearable.

"I want to see," you said, standing up from the floor. Your current project was finding a way to more efficiently organize the dresser full of your and Tyler's pajamas and socks.

Tyler led you through the bathroom to your walk-in closet, holding his arms out for added effect. After giving you a moment to look around, he turned to you with a smile, obviously proud of the work he had accomplished. You had to admit, it looked a lot nicer now that he had cleaned it up. Even the clothes in the drawers had been nicely folded and arranged so that your favorite shirts were easier to access.

"I'm impressed," you nodded, wrapping an arm around Tyler's waist and leaning your head against his shoulder. "It looks really nice in here."

"Thank you. I think this setup is going to work a lot better for us."

"Yeah, especially when it comes time to pack and you can't find the right pair of red socks."

"Hey," Tyler laughed, wrapping his other arm around you in a side hug. "They're my show socks!"

"I know, I'm just messing with you. It really does look nice, Ty."

You turned so that you could give him a kiss. He gave you a second peck as you started to pull away.

"Ok, we still have more to do," you said, reluctantly untangling yourself from Tyler's arms. "Back to work."

You walked back into the bedroom and sat down amidst the piles of pajamas and socks that you had made. Before organizing anything, you wanted to divide everything up and fold it so that you would know how much space each pile needed. There were only a few more shirts and sweatpants left for you to do.

"What are you working on?" you called to Tyler, who was still in the bathroom.

"I was going to wipe down the mirrors!"

"Ok!"

Once everything was folded and in its correct pile, you started trying to figure out how to organize the dresser. You tried visualizing it so that you wouldn't have to move the piles all over the place and potentially unfold them in the process, but you couldn't quite get a grasp on how it would look. Thankfully, you had a plan that would help.

"Hey, Ty?" you said, leaning against the doorframe of the bathroom.

He stopped wiping down the mirror and turned to face you, "Yeah?"

"Do we have any post-it notes?"

"Yeah, there should be some in the bottom drawer of my desk down in the studio."

"Of course," you sighed, already dreading all the stairs it would take to get there and back. "But thank you."

"No problem."

You quickly descended the two flights of stairs down to Tyler's basement studio and slowly pushed open the door. Before taking a single step into the room, you felt along the wall until you found the lightswitch. Tyler's studio was creepy enough even with the light on, something about the complete lack of sound made you uneasy. That was part of the reason that you rarely entered the room without Tyler.

You sat down in Tyler's chair and spun around a couple times before finally stopping yourself and pulling open the bottom desk drawer. Just as Tyler had said, there was a stack of brightly colored post-it notes sitting on top of some other papers and notebooks. You grabbed them and started to close the drawer again when something pushed into the back corner caught your eye. It looked like a velvet box...

No, you shouldn't look. Tyler had it hidden away for good reason, and you were already able to make a reasonable guess about what it was based on the size. You would see it when Tyler meant for you to see it.

But maybe one peek wouldn't hurt?

You had just started to reach for it when you heard frantic footsteps coming down the stairs.

"Wait!"

In one swift motion, you shut the desk drawer and turned in the direction of the door. Tyler practically stumbled through it, his chest heaving.

"Don't. Open. The. Drawer," he heaved between breaths, bringing a hand to his chest.

You pressed your lips together. Tyler started to frown.

"You already saw, didn't you?"

You slowly nodded your head.

"Did you open it?"

You shook your head, suddenly very relieved that Tyler had run as fast as he did.

"Good," he nodded, leaning against the wall.

A million questions started to swirl in your mind, but all of them paled in comparison to the one that you now knew Tyler wanted to ask you. The reality of it started to set in, making your eyes brim with tears.

"Why are you crying?" Tyler asked, dropping to his knees in front of you. His eyebrows were pulled together in concern. "Are you ok?"

You nodded, finding it difficult to talk around the lump in your throat. After taking a moment to compose yourself, you answered.

"You really want to marry me?"

Tyler's mouth curled up into a smile. "I guess there's no point in waiting now."

He reached over and pulled the drawer open again, grabbing the velvet box from the back corner. After turning it over a couple times in his hands, he met your eyes.

"There's so many things that I want to say to you right now, but none of them could ever fully capture the way that I feel about you. From the moment that I met you, Y/N, I knew that I wanted to spend my life with you. You make me a better man every day and never fail to put a smile on my face, even during my worst moments. I love you with every fiber of my being and I never plan to stop."

Tyler shifted so that he was now on one knee instead of both. Carefully, he opened the box, revealing the ring sitting inside. It was more beautiful than you ever could have imagined.

"Y/F/N Y/L/N, will you marry me?"

"Yes," you smiled as a fresh wave of tears fell down your cheeks.

Tyler slid the ring onto your finger and wiped a tear away from his own face. You leaned forward and wrapped your arms around him, holding him close.

"I love you so much," you mumbled into his shoulder. "I'm sorry that I ruined your proposal."

"You didn't ruin anything." he said, rubbing your back. "The most important part was always spending my life with you."

"I can't wait to spend my life with you, Ty."

Tyler leaned back so that he could give you a proper kiss. You couldn't help but stare at him and his gorgeous smile, even if your eyes were a little blurry.

"Me too."