First Kiss

Warnings: Some awkward teenagers, but that's about it!

Word Count: 1076

Request: A Quotev user asked me to do a first kiss scenario fic, so here it is!

Author's Note: Sooo I decided to make this based on Promises, like what would have happened if they had admitted their feelings to one another in high school rather than, well, you can read it and find out! :)

*     *     *

You laughed as your dog went sprinting back across the yard, chasing after the tennis ball you had thrown just moments before. He launched through the air, expertly catching the ball in his mouth and landing in the grass.

"Come here, Fergus!" you called.

The dog came running back over and dropped the ball at your bare feet. You scooped it up and held it out to Tyler.

"You want to throw it?"

He wrinkled his nose at the sight of the slobber-covered ball in your hand, "I'll pass."

"If you insist."

You chucked the ball across the yard again before staring down at your damp hand. With a devilish grin, you reached over and rubbed your hand on Tyler's shoulder. He immediately ducked away as he realized what you were doing.

"Hey!" he laughed. "That's gross."

"It's just dog slobber."

"If it's 'just dog slobber', then you can wipe it on your own shirt."

You shook your head, although it was hard to ignore the pit of nervousness in your stomach. It had only been about a week since you and Tyler had started dating, and you were still trying to figure out exactly how to navigate a relationship. Tyler seemed to have everything figured out, but you managed to embarrass yourself doing something as simple as holding hands.

"Sorry, Ty," you mumbled.

"It's alright," he grinned, wrapping an arm around you and pulling you into his side. "I'll get you back."

"Hey!" You lightly elbowed him in the ribs, making him duck away from you yet again.

"You asked for it."

"Did not!"

"Then why did you rub dog slobber on me?"

You picked up the tennis ball that Fergus had brought back to you and tossed it again, "Because it was funny."

Tyler rested an arm behind you again, "You have an interesting definition of funny."

You smiled and drummed your fingers against your legs. Ever since you and Tyler started dating, you had been wondering when you two would kiss. You had never kissed anyone before - family members didn't count - and you hadn't been able to stop worrying about what it would be like. Part of you just wanted to get it over with so you would stop being so stressed out about it.

Fergus ran over and dropped the ball at your feet, but didn't wait for you to throw it again. He simply walked over to the grass and plopped down in it, panting heavily. You laughed and kicked the slobbery ball away from your feet.

"Now what?" Tyler asked.

"I guess we just sit," you laughed.

"I'm ok with that."

You lightly tapped your feet against the pavement, enjoying the sunshine. Spring was finally coming to an end and the summer weather was beginning to set in.

"Hey, Y/N?"

You turned to Tyler, "Yeah?"

"I'm, uh, really happy we're dating."

"Really?" you said, not even trying to hide the dorky grin on your face. This made Tyler smile too.

"Yeah. I know I'm not always the best at showing it, but I'm glad we are."

In a moment of bravery, you reached out and grabbed Tyler's hand, "I'm glad we're dating too."

"You know," he said quietly as he lightly poked at your leg. "We've been dating for a little over a week now."

"Yeah?"

Your heart was pounding so hard that you thought it might go straight through your sternum.

"Um," Tyler scratched the back of his head with his free hand. "I was kind of wondering if it would be ok for me to kiss you?"

"Kiss me? You want to do that?"

Tyler laughed, "Of course I want to do that."

"Oh, um, yeah," you nodded. "You can kiss me."

"Ok," Tyler grinned.

He closed his eyes and started to lean forward, but you put a hand to his chest, stopping him halfway.

"Wait," you said. Tyler opened his eyes and looked at you. "I have no idea what I'm doing."

"Neither do I," he giggled.

"What do I do?"

"Just close your eyes and kinda tilt your head to the side."

You did as Tyler said, "Like that?"

"Yeah, and then - well - I'm going to kiss you, ok?"

"Ok."

You drew in a shaky breath as you waited for him to close the space between you. He reached up and rested a hand on the side of your face, making you jump a little. His breath was hot on your chin as he laughed a little.

"Just relax, ok?"

"I'm trying," you giggled.

Tyler answered you by pressing his lips to yours. They were softer than you had expected, especially considering Tyler's opposition to chapstick. You weren't entirely sure what to do in return, so you reached out and lightly rested a hand on his knee.

The two of you were interrupted by someone opening the door to the backyard. You practically pushed Tyler away from you as you turned to see who it was.

"Oh, sorry!" your mom said, immediately covering her mouth with her hand. "I was just coming to see if you two wanted anything for lunch!"

"We're fine, Mom," you said quickly, avoiding any and all eye contact.

"Alright, let me know if that changes!" she said before closing the door again.

You turned back to Tyler, whose face had turned bright red from the interaction. Both of you immediately started laughing, unable to contain the sheer embarrassment.

"Well that's burned into my mind forever," you laughed.

"I think it might be burned into your mom's memory too."

You buried your face in your hands, "Oh geez, that was awful."

"It could have been worse."

You turned to look at him, "Could it?"

"Definitely."

You sighed and pressed your forehead to Tyler's shoulder. He wrapped an arm around you and lightly rubbed your back.

"Hey, at least we got the awkward first kiss over with," he said.

"You have a point."

You turned to look up at Tyler, who was staring out over the yard. The sun was highlighting his features, making him look even more beautiful than usual.

"You know, I wouldn't be opposed to another kiss," you mumbled.

Tyler turned to look at you, laughing quietly, "No?"

"Nope."

Tyler's hand moved to under your chin as you sat up a little straighter. This time, you were the one to lean into him. He smiled as you kissed him.

Turns out there was nothing to worry about, after all.