There For You: Part Three

Warnings: Angst

Word Count: 1695

Author's Note: This is the third and final part of the series!

You grumbled and cleared the notification before throwing it back onto the night table. He had probably done something dumb and now his girlfriend was mad at him. It was a common occurrence, and you weren't about to sacrifice sleep over it. Tyler was an adult, so he could handle his issues like one.

Tyler had texted you three additional times by the time that you woke up the next morning. You were still half-asleep when you read them, their full meaning not quite sinking in yet.

I need to talk to you as soon as possible.

I know I've been a huge idiot but this is important.

Call me when you wake up. Please.

You sighed and tossed your phone down beside you. That would have to wait until later, first you were going to get ready for the day.

Your phone sat in front of you, taunting you as you ate your breakfast. You didn't want to bend to Tyler's will that easily, but you figured that it must be important if he was messaging you about it. He knew better than to pull a false alarm on you at this point.

You sighed and grabbed your phone with your free hand, not giving yourself a moment to second guess what you were doing. At the end of the day, Tyler was still your best friend and you weren't going to lose him entirely just because you were mad he was dating someone else instead of you.

He answered after only a couple rings.

"You called," he sounded relieved.

"You said it was important."

"It is. Are you free today? I want to talk about this in person."

"Rocket has an appointment at two, but the two of us can come over afterwards."

"That's perfect."

"Is everything ok?"

"It will be."

"Alright, I'll see you later then."

"Bye."

You hung up the call, curious as to what was so important that he needed to see you in person.

You opened the car door and Rocket happily jumped out, immediately making a beeline for Tyler's front door. The joke between the two of you was that Rocket was practically Tyler's son just as much as he was yours.

"Hey, come here," you called after him as he began to sniff at some flowers on the far side of Tyler's yard.

Rocket came up and ran circles around your feet, only adding to your already anxious demeanor. You rolled your shoulders a couple times and reached up to knock on Tyler's door, your heart already pounding a lot harder than you would like it to be.

You heard Tyler walking around inside and your heart skipped a beat. It had been a couple weeks since the last time you two saw one another. You had gone to lunch together and hardly talked. Neither of you had discussed how you blew up on him and he knew better than to talk about his new relationship. There really wasn't much else for you two to discuss at that point.

The door knob started to jiggle, causing Rocket to jump around happily. You brushed some hair back from your forehead and stuck your hands deep into your sweatshirt pockets.