Heartbeat

Warnings: Sexual themes, angst, the song has some inappropriate lyrics

Word Count: 1552

Author's Note: This is based off the song Heartbeat by Childish Gambino!

"You coming, babe?" your boyfriend called from the living room.

"Yeah," you answered. "I'll be there in a second."

Your phone buzzed in your hand as you were walking back from the kitchen. You twisted your hand so that you could see the screen without spilling the drinks that you were carrying in the process.

You felt your stomach drop when you read the name. It was Tyler, your ex-boyfriend that you just couldn't seem to keep out of your life. Your current boyfriend didn't know about him, and you intended to keep it that way.

"You alright?" he asked as you sat down on the couch and passed him his drink. "Your face looks kinda pale."

"Fine," you smiled as you deliberately set your phone down on the couch next to you so that the screen wasn't visible. "Must be the lighting."

The text would have to wait.

"Whatever you say."

The credits began to roll on the screen. You were curled up in your boyfriend's arms, trying to ignore the text that kept flashing in the back of your mind. Your phone was on the other end of the couch, hidden away from your boyfriend's prying eyes.

"Y/N," he said.

"Yeah?"

You felt him take a deep breath before he started to speak, "I want you to come back home with me and meet my parents."

You sat up suddenly and turned to face him, a mixture of worry and panic on your face, "What?"

You had never intended for your relationship to get this serious. Things with Tyler were still messy and your current boyfriend was more of a distraction than anything.

"We've been dating for a few months and things seem to be going well. My family is important to me, and it just seems like the right move."

He looked a bit upset that you had reacted so intensely to his suggestion. You almost felt bad for him, but you knew that it wasn't fair to him to act like things were serious.

"I'm just...not comfortable with that yet," you said, trying to give him a reassuring smile.

"Come on, Y/N. It won't be that bad."

He reached out and tried to rub your arm, but you shifted away from it.

"I just don't think we're that serious yet."

"What do you mean we're not that serious?"

"It's only been a few months, Y/B/N. Things haven't really picked up."

"So the dates and the sex and the late nights and feelings, are those all for fun?"

Yes.

"No! That's not what I mean at all. It's just so early in the relationship, it's hard to tell."

He was getting angry now. Both of you were starting to raise your voices, and if you weren't careful this would be a full blown fight.

"Well it isn't hard for me," he huffed. "I love you, Y/N, and I think that our relationship could actually go all the way."