Taken By Sleep

Warnings: Mentions of illness/death, hospital setting

Word Count: 3587

Author's Note: This is my second entry for ​the Tumblr writing challenge! Like last time, the prompt is bolded within the fic. Requests will be back next week!

*     *     *

You grabbed your bag from the passenger seat and closed the car door with your hip. There were still a few minutes before visitation hours officially started, but you hoped that the nurses would be nice and let you slip in a few minutes early. With Tyler's condition getting worse, you tried to get in as much time with him as possible.

Your phone buzzed as you were walking through the front doors of the hospital. Without missing a beat, you pulled it out of your pocket and read the text.

Josh: Got a late start. Will be at the hospital ASAP

You finished typing out a response just as you reached the front desk. The nurse smiled at you.

"Y/N Joseph, nice to see you again."

"You too," you said, trying to put on a brave face. "I'm sure you know why I'm here."

"I do, but visitation hours don't start for another ten minutes."

You tried not to let the disappointment show on your face. Instead, you forced a smile and headed down the hallway that you knew led to the coffee shop. Picking up a drink for you and Tyler would help kill time and hopefully cheer him up a little bit.

You arrived back at the check-in desk at exactly 10:59, armed with two warm drinks and a smile on your face. The nurse looked up as you gently set one of the drinks on the counter.

"There's still a minute," she smiled.

"My husband is terminally ill, I think you can make a sixty second exception."

"ID, please."

You grabbed your ID and slid it across the counter to the nurse. By the time she was done checking you in, the clock read 11:00.

"Have a nice day."

"You too."

You grabbed the second drink from the counter and walked down the hallway towards Tyler's room. He was already awake as you slowly pushed the door open with your forearm. His face lit up as soon as he realized that it was you and not another nurse.

"Lovely," he grinned.

You smiled at the nickname he had given you years ago. "I brought you some coffee."

"You did?"

You noticed that the bags under his eyes had gotten deeper since you had last seen him yesterday. His hands shook a bit as he reached out to take the coffee from you, but you tried not to pay too much attention. Tyler hated when anyone brought too much attention to his condition.

"I got here too early and the nurse wouldn't let me come see you yet, so I thought getting you a nice warm drink might cheer you up."

"I appreciate it. Thank you, lovely."

You walked over and took a seat next to his hospital bed. The chair was still in the same position that you had left it yesterday. Tyler slowly brought the cup to his lips and took the tiniest of sips.

"Josh said that he got a late start this morning but he'll be here as soon as possible."

Tyler nodded as he pulled the lid off the top of his cup.