Loss

Warnings: Miscarriage, angst, some swearing, DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU WANT SOMETHING HAPPY 

Word Count: 3000

You bit down on the inside of your cheek as you reached for your phone to check the timer. There were only thirty seconds left, and you watched impatiently as they slowly counted down. In a matter of moments, you would know if your life was changed forever.

The timer went off when you were on the other side of the bathroom, and you lunged for it so fast that you lost your footing and had to catch yourself on the edge of the counter. You paused for a moment, your hand resting on the tile counter edge, as you listened to see if Tyler had noticed your stumble. There was no sound from downstairs, so you pushed yourself up to a standing position.

You could feel your heart pounding in your chest as you reached for the little stick sitting on the counter. Doubt began to run itself through your mind as your fingers wrapped around it. Had you done the test wrong? Was it too early? What if it was faulty? You tried to shake the thoughts from your mind and took a deep breath. Slowly, you flipped it over so that you could see the results.

Never before could you have imagined that a plus sign could make your heart stop. You brought a hand to your mouth to muffle the incomprehensible squeaking sounds that were coming from your mouth as you jumped around the bathroom. The next thing on your mind was finding Tyler, so you went running out of the bedroom towards the stairs. You were only half paying attention, looking up just in time to stop yourself from running straight into him at the top of the stairs. He quickly grabbed onto the railing to keep from falling backwards, and you began to apologize profusely.

"Y/N, what's going on with you? I could hear your stomping around up here from the office."

You wordlessly passed him the pregnancy test, not sure that you would be able to find the right words in your current state. His eyes went wide as he put two and two together. When he looked up at you, his face was a mixture of awe and excitement.

"So this means-we're gonna-we're gonna have-"

You were nodding vigorously before he even had a chance to spit out the rest of his sentence. He launched himself towards you and kissed you deeply, holding you so close to him that it was hard to breathe. When he finally pulled away from you, he pressed his forehead to yours and looked into your eyes.

"We're going to have a baby," he said breathlessly, still in disbelief.

"I know," you whispered, your eyes already watering.

He suddenly pulled away from you and went jogging down the stairs.

"There's so much to do! We need to start picking out names, get you an appointment, look at Amazon reviews of every baby product ever made." He stopped at the bottom of the stairs and looked up at you. "What are you waiting for, Y/N? We have work to do!"

Tyler went running off again and you couldn't help but smile at his newfound excitement. After taking a moment to compose yourself and wipe a few happy tears away, you descended the stairs to figure out just where it was that he had run off to.

Two Months Later...

You woke up in the middle of the night to a shooting pain in your back. There had been some mild pain for the past few days, but it hadn't been as intense as this. You tried adjusting the position you were sleeping in to see if it would help at all, but it only made the pain worse.

"Ty," you called softly, shoving his arm slightly.

He was awake and sitting up in a matter of seconds. Tyler had always been a light sleeper, a side effect of his anxiety, but your pregnancy had only made him more attentive to you waking him up in the middle of the night.