Glowing Eyes

Warnings: An argument takes place & some self-doubt from both Tyler and the reader

Word Count: 1927

Author's Note: This was an one of two entries I did for a writing challenge on Tumblr! The prompt that I was given is bolded within the fic :)

*     *     *

You idly fiddled with your sweatshirt strings as Tyler scribbled down some words in his notebook. The two of you had been in the middle of a nice conversation when he had abruptly cut you off in order to write down some idea that had popped into his head. It wasn't anything new, ever since he had started the songwriting process for the next album, he would whip out his notebook to write down ideas anytime and anywhere.

"Did you think of anything good?" you asked, assuming that your previous conversation was old news by this point.

"No," he grumbled as he snapped his notebook closed. "It's just another lyric that doesn't fit anywhere else."

"Do you want to go on a walk or something? It might help clear your head."

You subconsciously crossed your fingers, hoping that he would take you up on your offer. As much as you loved and supported him, it had been hard to pull his attention away from songwriting over the last few weeks.

He shook his head, "I just need to get one song done today. Or even a chorus. Something."

It was hard to mask your disappointment, but you put on a smile. "Just don't put too much pressure on yourself, ok? The best lyrics are the ones that come to you naturally."

You reached out and lightly rubbed his back. A smile tugged at the corner of his lips for a brief moment before disappearing again.

"I just really want to make a career out of this, you know? It's my dream. And in order to do that I need to be great."

"You are great, Ty. I know you can make this work."

He shrugged and grabbed his notebook. Rather than writing down lyrics, he began to draw in the margins of the paper. You hated to see him getting so down on himself.

"You know, Molly was telling me about how her cousin got a book deal. I think it's a pretty big company too, but I can't remember which one she said it was."

Tyler stopped drawing and turned to face you. His eyebrows were furrowed, "Is that supposed to make me feel better?"

You were a bit taken aback by his change of tone. Slowly, you removed your hand from his back and dropped it into your lap.

"I just thought it might give you some hope. People we know are getting successful. That could be you, Ty."

"No, I get it. We all know somebody who knows somebody who's doing great."

"Ty, I didn't mean it like-"

"Just stop, Y/N. You try to act like you know what I'm going through, but you don't. You have a college education and a nice job all lined up for you. You could never understand."

He opened his notebook and began to write down more lyrics. You just sat and stared the table, trying desperately to swallow the lump that had formed in your throat. Tyler had never snapped at you like that before, but he was too busy writing to even notice how upset he had made you.

"I'll be upstairs," you muttered.

Tyler didn't even look up as you left the table. You wiped a tear away from your cheek as you climbed the stairs and made a beeline for the bedroom that you two shared. As soon as the door was shut behind you, you leaned against it and buried your face in your hands.