Vows

Warnings: None

Word Count: 1033

Your POV

Bridesmaids were flitting around you as you stood in front of the mirror, looking over yourself for what felt like the millionth time that afternoon. You adjusted your dress this way and that, not quite sure how exactly you wanted it to sit on you. Your maid of honor walked up beside you and laid a hand delicately on your shoulder, obviously noticing your distress.

"You look gorgeous, Y/N, and I know that Tyler is going to think the same."

You tugged at the fabric of your bodice, "Are you sure?"

"Yes," she smiled, reaching over and carefully adjusting it.

You let your hands drop back to your sides, carefully examining the fabric. It was good enough, so you turned away from the mirror to get yourself to focus on something else and not mess up your dress. The longer you stared, the more you would want to change it again.

"Half an hour!" the wedding planner called before disappearing back out into the hallway again.

Girls went scattering all over the place, finding dropped hairpins and making last minute adjustments to themselves before they would be walking down the aisle. Your niece went running across the room with crayons in her hands, being closely chased by her mother who was muttering something about not ruining her pastel dress. You wondered if perhaps making a three year old your flower girl had been a poor choice.

Tyler's POV

I dug around in my pocket, feeling for the little slip of paper that had my vows hastily scribbled on it. Writing them had been a long process, mostly composed of writing down individual lines as they came to me. I had tried to sit down and write them all at once, but that just led to frustration and crumpled sheets of paper being tossed haphazardly in the direction of the trashcan. It was like songwriting, but ten times harder.

My hand met the paper, and I slowly wrapped my fingers around it and pulled it out of my pocket. It was crumpled and there was a hard crease where one of the corners had been bent down, not exactly the type of paper you would expect vows to be on.

The room that I was in was empty, but that was because having all the groomsmen yelling loudly around me was stressing me out more than was necessary, not because nobody wanted to be around me. They had all disappeared off down the hall, most likely to see what the bridesmaids were up to, leaving me alone with my thoughts. Whether that was a good thing or not, I had yet to decide.

I walked over to the mirror and stood in front of it, looking at myself. My tie seemed out of place, so I adjusted it, which only made it look more out of place. I made a mental note to ask Zack or Jay how it looked later. I tried to ignore my appearance and instead opened the crumpled paper and looked down at it. My handwriting was messy, but legible. Not that I needed the paper, my vows were already in my head, but Y/N had insisted that we have them on paper since she was convinced her nerves would make her forget hers.

I quietly cleared my throat and looked at myself in the mirror, "Y/N, from the moment that I saw you across the crowd, I knew that I needed to know you. For the rest of the night, my mission was to meet you, which anyone who's heard the story knows may have involved jumping a fence and pushing past my own security guards." I allowed myself a small smile at this, remembering the night. "The lecture from security was a small price to pay in order to meet the girl that, in that moment, I knew I wanted to marry."

I paused and took a moment to compose myself. I already knew that today was going to be emotional, but there was no doubt in my mind now that I wouldn't be able to get through the ceremony without crying.

"Y/N, I promise to always be your shoulder to cry on, your biggest supporter, and your partner in crime. I'll watch dumb comedies with you when you're sick, call you every night when I'm away on tour, and bring you coffee on the way home from meetings. No matter what happens, I am going to stay by your side and love you no matter what. I am so lucky to be able to call you my wife, and nothing will ever change how I feel about you. I love you."

I took a deep breath and folded the paper back up. There was so much more that I wanted to talk about, but vows were supposed to be short. I could go on for hours about how I almost stopped singing when we locked eyes for the first time, the way that I couldn't even spit words out for the first few seconds that I stood face to face with her, or the way that her laugh made my heart melt. Thankfully, I had the rest of my life to tell her all the ways that I loved her.

Zack and Jay walked back into the room, discussing something or other. I hastily wiped a tear off of my cheek and turned to face the two of them.

"Is my tie straight?" I asked.

The two of them scrutinized it carefully. "I think so," Jay said.

"It looks straight," Zack added.

"Ok," I said, taking another deep breath. I had been doing that a lot today.

The wedding planner popped her head into the room and smiled widely, revealing shining white teeth, "Ready to walk in five minutes?"

"Yeah," I said, stuffing the vows back into my breast pocket. As cliché as it might have been, I liked to have them close to my heart.

Zack gave me a pat on the back, "I can't believe you're getting married."

I smiled, "I can't believe it either. Who knew that seeing a pretty girl in the crowd could end so well?"