Gift

"I want to give you something." You tell Johnny when you're finally back to the campfire on the beach the two of you had settled around.

You're standing in front of him and your hands are behind your back, hiding a big object. He looks at you questioningly and you move your hands to reveal a guitar. Johnny's eyes get wide at the sight.

"It's my dad's guitar. When he was in high school he used to save his pocket money to buy it. It's one of the few things I've got left from him after he..." You pause a bit, because it still hurts to mention his death. "...Well all I'm trying to say is that I want you to have it."

You stretch your hands with the guitar to him, but he doesn't make a move to take it.

"It's your dad's guitar and you want me to have it?"

"It's not like I can play on it, I mean I don't even know how to. And besides I know my dad would be glad if you have it. That way it would be in good hands."

He looks at you and you place the guitar in his lap.

"I don't know what to say." He says, running his hand through the wooden body of the guitar. "I promise I'll take good care of it."

"I'm sure you will." You smile sitting down next to him and you kiss him softly. "I love you."

He smiles and adjusts the guitar.

"This is for your dad." He says and starts playing some soft melody. You smile and place your head on his shoulder staring into the fire, getting lost in the tune.

You're glad of what you did and you know your dad is happy too, wherever he is; you can feel it.