Anniversary

"Y/n, I'm home!" Johnny announces cheerfully when he enters the house but frowns when he gets no reply.

He checks all the rooms but doesn't find you anywhere and starts panicking. Then he remembers he hasn't checked the beach and sure enough you're there.

"I've looked everywhere for you." He says sitting down next to you and curling an arm around your waist.

You don't say anything and don't move, just continue to stare in front of you. The panic in Johnny's heart rises again.

"Y/n, are you ok?"

You shake your head slightly.

"It was going to be their 30th wedding anniversary today."

He frowns confused.

"I don't --"

"My mom and dad's." You say before he could finish his sentence and shrug slightly. "If my dad was still alive that is."

Johnny gasps quietly then puts his arms around you. He can't believe he had forgotten about it when you had mentioned it a couple of days ago.

"I'm sorry."

"It's ok."

"No, it's not. I forgot what day today is and I went to work leaving you here all alone."

"And you did good because I needed to be alone."

"Well you're not alone anymore." He says and moves behind you, pulling you closer to himself. You lean against his chest and his arms encircle your body so he could entangle his fingers with yours. You sigh quietly at the comfort his body is radiating.

"Did you call your mother?"

You nod slightly.

"Yeah, she's doing ok. I mean...my parents split up before I was born. They never got divorced but didn't celebrate their wedding anniversary either. I was the only one who reminded them about it and who actually celebrated it."

He was quiet for a moment.

"I'm sorry." He said eventually, causing you to roll your eyes.

"You should really stop saying that." You say with a sigh.

He places a soft kiss on the top of your head not knowing how to respond.

"How about we make this day a double anniversary?" He asks after being silent for a couple of minutes.

You frown and turn your head slightly to look at him.

"What do you mean?"

He smirks.

"Well if we get married on this day it'll be not only your parents' anniversary but ours too." He shrugs his shoulders with a playful smile and raises eyebrows. "So what do you say?"

"Well I...wait, are you saying you want to marry me?" You ask and turn your body so you can fully face him.

"Yes." He nods with a smile. "I love you and you love me so why not?"

You're still wrecking your mind to process what he was saying.

"Johnny, you know how much I love you but this is...this is a really big step. Plus, you know I don't really believe in marriage."

"It is a big step." He agrees. "But I'm more than ready and willing to take that step with you. And I know your opinion on the matter, but I think if we get married on this day then you'll associate it not only with sadness but with happiness too."

"So we're going to get married on this day next year?" You ask and a mischievous smile runs across his lips.

"Why wait so long?"

"Because we can't get married today."

"There's no time like the present."
"But..."

"Shh." He puts a finger on your mouth and then leans and gently presses his lips against yours.

He then moves to stand up and pulls you up with him. There's a small breeze from the ocean that's gently rocking your hair and the sun is slowly setting down. Johnny takes your hands and makes his vow to love you always. With tears glistening in your eyes(this time from happiness) you make your vow too. Johnny cups your face in his hands and locks his lips with yours. You put your arms around his neck and bury your fingers in his hair. When you break it for air you smile.

"Thank you." You say quietly.

He tucks a piece of hair behind your ear.

"What for?"

"For turning this day from a sad one to the happiest day of my life."

He grins and leans down brushing your cheek with his own while whispering one single word in your ear.

"Always."