Memories

RJ got home at half past 9, again, since the classes started.

His father was waiting for him in the den.

"RJ? Ikaw ba yan?"

RJ sighs and walks towards the den.

"Yes Dad. I'm here."

"O, ginabi ka naman? Buti naman at umuwi ka ngayon. Ano ba inaatupag mo ha? Di na kita nakikita ah."

"May tinapos lang po sa school. Chaka kailangan ko kumuha ng mga gamit, kaya po ako umuwi."

"Eh ano, kumain ka na ba?"

"Opo... Akyat na po ako, masakit ulo ko eh."

"Mmmsige sige. Good night."

RJ climbs the stairs and enters his bedroom, plops on his bed and stares at the ceiling.

He really hasn't eaten yet, though he's not very hungry.

He's not hungry enough to have his father join him for a late dinner.

Maybe he'll just wait for him to go to his room, and then he'll quietly whip something up in their kitchen.

This has always been their "relationship" ever since he had to live with him when his mother died, 8 years ago.

It's been 8 years, and he still feels the pain of losing her.

Sometimes he still dreams about her.

Like tonight, as RJ falls asleep, still in his school clothes.

His dreams of her come in flashes.

How he was dragged by his pregnant mother out of their house when she found out of his father's affair.

How the next time he saw his father was when his mother gave birth to his sister.

How he found out that his mother was sick and was only given 6 months to live.

How he attended her funeral and he and his sister had to live with his father the next day.

How at 15 he tried to run away from his father's house but felt he had nowhere else to go.

RJ jolts as he wakes up with a heavy heart, goes to the shower to shake off the memory of his mother and changes to his PJs afterwards.