Jumpstart

Dei spends her afternoon in therapy with the three clients they handpicked. After her sessions, she gathered the group and discussed their experiences, their questions, their thoughts and feelings.

If there's one thing she learned as a psychologist, is that everybody needs somebody.

The debriefing session was fruitful, and the whole team was motivated for the next sessions. "I'll see you again same time next week, yes? And again, thank you for coming today."

As her team dispurses, each going to her respective vehicles, she notices a familiar car in the parking lot.

Hm. Marami naman atang ibang naka D-Max.

She tries to open her car using her key clicker, but it doesn't work. She manually uses her keys and puts her things inside and starts the car.

God. Anong nangyari dito?

She tries to start it again. Nothing.

She gets off her car and opens the hood, and notices her faint headlights.

Fuck. Naiwanan kong bukas yung headlights?!

Bakit ba ako nakaheadlights eh umaga?!

Must have accidentally turned it on earlier.

Shiiiiiit.

She goes back inside the car to get her phone, and realizes her battery's dead.

Great. Just when I left my powerbank at home.

Ano baaaaaa world!

Okay okay... What to do... I should just go back to the office and ask for help... From my mom... Who is probably in Bulacan.... Or I should call my sister... Eh deadbatt nga-   "AAAY!"

She is startled by a tall guy knocking on her window.

She opens her door slightly, and talks to him "RJ?! Anong... Anong ginagawa mo dito?!"

"Uh, nabanggit sakin kasi ni Val na nandito kayo today..."

"Ah..." Dei says as she tries to wipe her confused look off her face.

"May problema ba?"

"Ayaw mag start yung koche ko eh."

"Oh.. Uh, tara, kajutin natin?"

"Ha??"

"Kajot. Yun ano, jumpstart. Marunong ka ba?"

"Ah. Medyo. Oo."

"Sige, dun tayo sa pababa, tanggalin mo handbrake, itutulak ko. Lagay mo sa segunda."

Dei does what she's told, and releases the clutch too early.

"Hintayin mo muna may momentum!" RJ shouts to her as he pushes the car again.

After numerous tries, her car just won't start. She pulls the handbrake and sighs.

"Mukhang matindi ang pagkaka drain ng baterya mo Dei ah."  RJ says as he wipes the sweat off his forehead with his arm. 

Dei tries to ignore his bulging biceps right in front of her.

"Pwede ba akong makitawag?"

"Sure. Sino tatawagan mo?"

"Sister ko... Ay shit di ko memorized number... Tsk. Paano ba to, magpapa tow nalang ako? Magkano towing hanggang Manila? Gaaaad"   Dei says as she buries her face in her hands.

"Tell you what. May jumper cables ako sa bahay. I live nearby. Pwede kita itow muna hanggang sa bahay namin, and tatawag na rin ako ng mekaniko para matignan kung talagang baterya ang sira."

Dei having second thoughts about going to this guy's house whose arms and lips she's trying to veer far away from.

"Don't worry, mabilis lang yun. And my dad owns a repair shop. Totoong mekaniko ang titingin sa sasakyan mo. Okay Miss?"

"Uh... Okay sige. Salamat ha."

RJ smiles at her, and runs to his car to get his towing rod.

Dei checks the time, as she secretly eyes RJ hooking up her car with his. She really hoped to get home early, but it seems fate has different plans for her tonight.

_____

They arrive at the repair shop, and a whole crew welcomed them. It seems as if RJ has called the whole roster of mechanics they had in that shop to attend to her car.

She goes down to meet the staff. "Kuya Ric, si Ms. Dei. Dei, si Kuya Ric. Pinaka magaling na mekaniko namin yan dito! Ito team nya."

"Ay hello po." Dei shakes his hand. "Grabe, parang natotal wreck naman yung sasakyan ko kung sa dami ninyong gagawa."

"Naku naitawag po kasi si Sir RJ yan, VIP namin kayo kailangan makita ang sira agad!" Kuya Ric smiles at her warmly, "Sige po Ms. Dei, asikasuhin na namin ito. Sir."

"Sige Kuya Ric salamat."

The crew takes off the towing rod from both cars and checks up Dei's car.

"Akala ko jumper cables lang tayo? Buti na lang pala may repair shop kayo dito malapit."

"Yeah, naisip ko mas maigi na dito dalhin para makita talaga kung baterya lang or what."

"Salamat ulit ha..." Dei says.

"Uhm..  Malapit lang bahay namin dito. About 5 minutes away. Kung gusto mo, merienda muna tayo sa bahay tapos ibibilin ko na lang na tawagan ako agad pag tapos na, ihahatid kita pabalik dito."

"Ah.. Sure ka ba? Pwede naman ako dito maghintay nakakahiya na sayo sa abala."

"Hinde, okay lang talaga. At least dun makakapag charge ka pa. Tapos may merienda. Gusto mo merienda?"

"Okay sige." Dei chuckles. "Mukhang gutom ka na eh."

They both walk towards the car and RJ opens the passenger door for her.

He gets in his car and closes the door, excited to spend extra time with Dei.

RJ leans towards her to reach out for the seatbelt which takes Dei aback and makes her hold her breath.

"Seatbelt please." He whispers to her as the seat belt clicks on her side.

Dei smiles and lets out the breath she was holding.

RJ grins at her, and he drives home.

Thank you Lord, sa wakas kasama ko sya ngayon.