Man Behind The Crown

Part Thirty-Four

"Jimin," Jungkook's voice trailed off, hearing the princess' name echo down the solemn staircase in front of his quarters

"Jimin," Jungkook's voice trailed off, hearing the princess' name echo down the solemn staircase in front of his quarters. Jimin's door was closed, and Jungkook had paced before it for minutes before finally speaking. He rubbed the back of his neck, standing still in front of the quarters. Jimin hadn't shown up to a single class or any events for an entire week, and rumors have been spreading equally as loud as the cries of worry for the boy.

At first, Jungkook had thought it was best that Jimin took some days off - he was actually relieved to witness each sightless day go by. Selfishly, maybe, but it was healthy for both of them to take some time from having to see one another. But then the days got longer, and at night Jungkook would be staring at the hand that punched Hoseok - the one that broke his nose - and he'd replay the episode in the hallway over and over in his head while scripting a different outcome.

"Jungkook," Jimin had breathed out then, and Jungkook invisioned himself standing up straight, stepping over Hoseok as he cracked his own neck instead of his knuckles to look more badass; turning to face Jimin. He'd say something macho to make Hoseok run away, or maybe he would have hurt him further - then again, Jimin had made a point to show he disliked conflict to be resolved in violence - so he'd mostly end up going with only the macho words and a slightly threatening jump.

After dealing with Hoseok how he should have, Jungkook would walk up to Jimin instead of letting fear drive him away. He would say something, anything - perferably something clever - and Jungkook could visualize the smile that would spread on Jimin's perfect face. The way he'd whimper out happily as he melted into Jungkook's chest and Jungkook's own would wrap around him, threading his fingers through the gorgeous locks of Jimin's hair as he whispered "You're okay, kitten. I'm here. I got you. You're going to be okay."

Then Jimin would look up at him and -

Needless to say, nights were starting to become unbearable. It's cruel how endless one's thoughts can be.

"Jimin," Jungkook said into the empty hallway, his words echoing only the smallest bit. "Everyone's starting to really worry." Jungkook spoke again, being met with silence which he wasn't sure whether or not to be grateful for. Then again, were Jimin to open his door instead of keep it shut, Jungkook wasn't sure if he could keep talking. The younger took a deep breath, and slid down onto the floor, resting his back to the stone wall which gave him full view of both the door and the staircase. "I'm talking to ghosts," Jungkook muttered under his breath as he shook his head, glancing up at the ceiling.

The boy rubbed the back of his neck once again, before closing his eyes and staying still for moments: just...breathing. He was kicking himself for coming to Jimin's quarters in the first place, but after passing by the entrance every day - which wasn't on the way to any of his classes mind you - he finally just said screw it and got the nerve to climb. Even though it was the middle of the night and walking through a sleeping boarding school was terrifying af. Ghosts are real you guys.

"Hoseok's suspended, in case you were curious." Jungkook remembered, "I reported him in the day after he attacked you. I just thought you'd like to know. Maybe for closure - or something? I don't really know." Jungkook's voice trailed off at his attempt at changing the subject in his own conversation. He let the air draw out again, wondering if Jimin might throw him a reply, but nothing came. After minutes, Jungkook finally let out a really long breath, rubbing the back of his neck before taking the little button he had been fiddling with in his hands and throwing it down the stairs - listening to each echo of its fall as he would the ticks of a clock.

"I really hate you," Jungkook chuckled out. "I can't sleep because of you, you ass. I haven't slept since I saw you last - which I should have - I could have - I don't know anymore. God Jimin why won't you leave me alone?" Jungkook said through an exasperated breath before putting his hands in his hair and ruffling the soft strands of it. "You know what I think is the most unfair?" He asked, no longer concerned if Jimin could really hear through that massive door of his or not.

"What I think is most unfair is that I was the one to break things off with you. That it was my choice, my decision, and yet I'm the one who still can't let go of you. You're fucking laugh is in every echo that I hear, your smile the first thing I see when I close my mind. I've replayed the conversations we've had and could have so many times that sometimes I forget which one's existed in the first place."

Jungkook was beginning to breath harder, wiping his hands on his thighs as he clenched his jaw. "I thought that you didn't need me, Jimin. God my Jimin. I knew it in my bones that you be better off without me, that you truly didn't - don't need me anymore. But holy damn, a whole week has past and it's felt longer than this entire year three times over."

"You should take a look at me." Jungkook cut off with a chuckle as he caught a sight of himself in the tower window, "I look like I'm on crack or something. I can't sleep, I can't eat, I can't even function properly because every single damn moment I'm alive I'm thinking of you and it's driving me insane. It's like this blaring voice inside of my head screaming your name, flashing your smile, before tearing it all away with the last look you gave me in that classroom. Your eyes - they were full of tears yeah, but worse, I could see that I - I finally just broke you."

"Jimin I've spent so long listening to people tell me I'm not enough," Jungkook hissed, punching the ground next to where he was sitting before swearing out at the pain that the action shot through. "It gets to you," Jungkook stated sharply, "I wanted to be stronger than I was, but when everyone's opinion is constantly on your mind, you can't ignore it anymore."

Jungkook shook his head, hitting the back of it on the wall before letting out a very broken, disbelieving laugh. "I spent too long wondering if you needed me, Jimin, that I forgot I was the one who needed you. Not the other way around." He said softly, rubbing the back of his neck. He waited for a moment, as if by some chance Jimin's door would fly open and the boy would fall straight into his arms as he'd imagined him doing time and time again. He words filled every inch of the walls, soaked the oxygen in the air, rooted themselves in each step of the staircase. He wondered, he hoped, that Jimin had at least been on the other side of the door to hear him, before standing up, glancing at Jimin's closed door and walking away.

>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<<
A/N - once again didn't go as I expected, guys I feel like that writer in W-Two Worlds where the characters just write themselves since they're actually like in their own world(?) idk if that makes any sense but if y'all saw my original plot outline I think you'd scream from how different this turned out to be.

(Sorry this chapter ended up being shorter than the others!)

- Violette 🌷