Chapter 10 ~ My uncle gives me a beast as a present

Bree's POV:

" FU**" Was all Percy managed to say. I'm ashamed to admit that i laughed to myself.Everyone backed up and held out their weapons. Everyone except me.

" What in Hades are you doing?" It was the Nico kid.

" It's just a hellhound."

" Yeah, so get away from it."

I thought i'd look a bit pompous if i said 'I'm blessed by Hades'. Maybe he expected that, because he said " Look, i'm blessed by Hades too, but i really advise that you get away from that. You have no hellhound experience."

I almost wanted to follow him into the crowd of armed campers, but something held me back. I looked at the hellhound. It was massive. Like if me and Cai stood on top of each other, we still wouldn't be able to touch the top of it's back. It had a scorpion type tale, but not so spiky that it would slow it down if it ran. In fact, the spikes were slanted to help it run. The hellhound had a long snout. And don't get me started on the teeth. They weren't slobbery and horrible. They gleamed white and were as large as spear tips. The eyes were jet black, like the coals at the bottom Tartarus. And it's fur. Silver. The purest silver, but not only that. On the sides and back, tattoos curled this way and that. I later realized that they depicted scenes from Greek history, and even some scenes that hadn't happened yet. In a crazy way, it was beautiful. Deadly beautiful. The claws were like sharpened steel knives. Unfortunately, those claws were on Percy.

" Get back." It was Chiron.

" We'll send it back to Hades." Said Luke.

" No!" I yelled. I don't know why i did yell.But the hellhound also had no intention of going down without a fight. It growled. Everyone shivered like a cold had run down their spine when the hellhound opened its mouth. Everyone but me. I didn't feel fear when i saw it. I saw an amazing beast. Black mist swirled around it's paws.

" Look Bree" Said Chiron " I know you might not like it, but this hellhound  has a hold on Percy, and the only way to release it is by death."

Again, i don't know why i did it, but i ran to the front of the hellhound. I felt it's cold fur like ice against my skin. Thank Hades it didn't eat me. That would have been a problem.

" Bree, get away from it." It was Percy, with his sword raised to it's chest. The hellhound turned it's eyes to Percy. Percy screamed, and i'm ashamed to say, like a girl.

" You have to go through me."

Cheesy, i know, but it felt like the right thing to say. Everyone stared at me, then at my arm.

" Is there a problem with my arm or..."

I saw the problem. Silver mist was curling it's way up my arm, and curling around the hellhounds neck.

" No way." Gasped Nico.

" An unbreakable bond." Said Chiron. Surprisingly, he lowered his bow.

" What the heck is this stuff." I asked real cool like.

" That is the bond of Hades, this hellhound is bound to you by life. Take it as a gift from your uncle."

" WHAT DOES IT MEAN THOUGH?

" It means you have a hellhound as a pet, for life."

" Argyros." I whispered.

" What."said Cai

" Argyros is the name for silver in ancient Greek."

Everyone stared at me. I was choosing pet names at a time like this.

" Tell it to leave Percy alone." Said Chiron " Or you could use telepathy, as you are bonded it can read your mind . It also dies when you die, but not in reverse."

That's lucky. I looked at the hellhound and said " Umm, get off of Percy." Amazingly, the hellhound obeyed. It then began to walk to me.

" Can i ask something?" I looked at Chiron " Why do i get the hellhound, i've only known that i'm a child of a god For like a day. Wouldn't someone like Nico be better to own a beast from the underworld?"

" Actually, that's for Hades to decide, and Nico's only known for a few days that he's not a son of Hades. But for whatever reason, your uncle decided that you should have this hellhound."

I looked curiously at the beast. I looked around at everyone else. They had their weapons down now but they still seemed scared.

" Anyway, back to capture the flag, blue team wins." Chiron paused to let us celebrate " But there is still another matter at hand. How did the hellhound get into camp?" 

People started looking at their friends now, as if silently questioning them on this new problem. Eventually, all eyes turned to Nico.

" What" He said " why would i  do it?"

" Because it just so happens that you've been mad at everyone since you found out your true parentage." Exclaimed Annabeth.

" Hey, back off, he's been going through a rough time." I whipped back.

" Ohh, i'm sorry, you obviously know everything around here."

Before i could say anything, i heard a growl come from behind me. My new pet Argyros stepped forward to Annabeth. It was right in front of her when she buckled.

" Get away from me!" She shrieked. I don't know if she aimed that last comment to me or Argyros. She ran into the woods. Everyone but Cai, Percy and Nico followed her. Nico quickly thanked me for standing up for him, gave a quizzical but shy look, then walked off in the opposite direction to everyone else. 

" Well that was interesting." Said Cai and Percy at the same time. They looked at each other and laughed. It wasn't the best reason to laugh, but i guess they needed to smile.

" What now?" Asked Percy.

" I need to figure out how to down size Argyros." I looked at the hellhound. There was no hellhound. Instead, there was a silver wolf. 

" Wow." Said Cai. " Your hellhound can turn into a wolf."

I looked at it again. It was still riding size, but less bulky, more sleek and elegant.

" Maybe a bit smaller."

In response. the wolf shrunk even further into,,,

" A wolf hound." I said.

" Get your mobile and shrinkable hellhound in store today, only from Hades mart." Percy imitated a deep voice. I smiled a little.

" Hey, i should go see Annabeth, calm her down a little."

"  Sure. "

Percy bounded off into the Woods in the direction of camp.

" Do i get a hellhound?" Asked Cai.