Chapter 20 ~ With teeth that hurt

Percy POV:

I was depressed. Just a few weeks ago, I'd found out that I am a half-blood, my father was Poseidon, and I could control water. Now I was expected to go a quest and find a lightning bolt, surviving dangers and stopping the twins killing Annabeth (equally as dangerous). We had been sat in the back of a strawberry van, with a man with eyes all over his body driving. Some eyes had kept on looking at me, and it had made me feel nervous and slightly put off. I'd glanced at the twins, only to find them fast asleep. It had sort of knocked something in my brain. All this time, i'd thought that this myth thing was the weirdest thing and the best thing that i'd found. But...

And now here i stood. A small clearing in a deep forest. The trees seemed to whisper to me. Talk to me. I looked at everyone else. Grover was chewing a can, Annabeth was running her knife along her dagger and glaring at Cai. Cai was fiddling with her arrows. I looked for Bree. She was stood frozen. I looked at her. The wind whispered again. Bree jolted her head. I swear i saw her sniff the air. Her fingers tensed, and her hair bristled (i mean like literally). Out of the corner of my eye, i saw Grover do the same (minus the hair thing). But Annabeth and Cai were just normal. I walked over to Bree.

" What's the matter?"

She slapped her hand over my mouth and whispered " We-are-not-alone." 

I looked at her. Her eyes were wide, and darting everywhere.

" How do you know?" I whispered back.

" That's not the wind you're hearing bro."

And then it hit me. I held my breath and walked over to Cai and Annabeth. Cai seemed on the verge of kick Annabeths behind, but i held her back.

" Shut-up."

She was about to protest, but she saw Bree pointing at the trees. Grover saw this too. I was about to make my way to Annabeth when she yelled " Don't even try to get me back, i can fight her easi-"

The whispering stopped. I looked at Bree. Bree and Cai made several rude gestures to Annabeth. 

Then the monster burst into the clearing.

It was unlike anything i'd ever seen (and i've seen a few things in the past weeks). At first, i thought it was a wave of snakes, before i realized that it had a dragon body (a smallish dragon body) with a load of snakes for heads.

" WHAT IN THE HELLS NAME IS THAT THING?!" Yelled Cai.

" That thing usually guards the golden apple tree of mount-" said Annabeth

" YOU DON'T DESERVE TO TALK!" Burst Bree.

Grover had eaten the tin can and didn't seem to notice that he was nibbling his hand instead. I was about to leep into action, but the twins got there first. Cai threw her hand out, and vines tied the creature to a massive tree. Meanwhile, Bree burst into the form of a tiger,and circled it, keeping it's many heads at bay. 

" Percy!" Cai said " Cut of as many heads as possable!"

" Right."

I ran forward, bringing Rip-tide from my pocket, slashing at anything in reach. " Annabeth help!"

" Oh, Annabitch is still running through all the possible meanings of the phrase 'complete bloody stupid ******* idiot!" Snarled Bree.

" You can talk as an animal?" I asked.

Bree the tiger gave me a look that plainly said 'shut up '. Annabeth had snapped into action at Brees words. She helped me cut at the monster. I heard strange music, and realized that Grover was making music with his pan-pipes to keep the vines holding the creature. This was probably the first and last time that we would ever work as a team. 

And obviously, it went wrong. Grover tripped, stopping the vines from rapping around monster head, therefore making Cai turn to see what was wrong, so she lost control of the vines, which went back to the trees. The monster went loose shocking Bree, which scared Annabeth, who cut me by accident.

Let me tell you that it's not nice seeing a nearly beheaded monster go on a rampage around a clearing, over five kids holding weapons. It lent down and i heard a yell come from Grover. I looked up and saw the he'd been bitten on his arm. Then it ran out of the clearing, towards the city. Cai immediately shot an arrow after it, and Bree threw a knife but the only seemed to wound the creature.

That was fun.