Chapter 18 ~ Visiting my Uncle?

Cai P.O.V:

As we walked out, the initial shock hit me. We were going on a quest. People die on these. I can't live without my sister, nor my brother. We were like three pieces to a jigsaw. The Peanut butter, jelly and the bread. The Three Musketeers. One of us would have the start of a plan, another would process it and the other would finish it. If they died, I wouldn't cope. I'd commit suicide. I don't know my dad personally, neither my mum, but I know she is alive. At least I hope. I walked past the Hades Cabin when I heard my name. Naturally, I stopped and listened in.

" What about your sister, Caielle, is it? When are you going to tell her that your mum's... you know... dead." An unknown voice said, whispering the last word as though it was forbidden.

" No, are you an idiot, Nico?" Bree?! Nico?!" She wouldn't cope. She may seem strong, but really she isn't. She can't fight with a sword for her life. It's better if she doesn't know, don't you agree, Perce?" She asked. So Percy, Nico and Breanna are in on it. My head reeled as it tried to make some concept of... this. My hand flew over my mouth as everything just set in. My sister, brother and my sister's 'crush' ( Nico likes her but i'm not sure about Bree ) think I'm weak? A tear ran down my face as I realized what they thought of me. Thunder crackled in the sky as the earth rumbled. I did the thing that I do best. What i've always done best. I ran.

I ran far into the woods, when a clearing appeared. There, I collapsed, tears streaming down my face. My shoulders slumped as I realized that my sister thought I was weak, worthless, unable to take care of myself. My mother was DEAD, and she didn't think to tell me?

I heard a twig snap behind me. An icy wind blew over my neck. I felt cold inside, as if all the things i loved most were being taken from me. Darkness spread over the trees.

" It is unfortunate."

A sly voice echoed around the clearing.

" Underestimated. forgotten. Not needed." The voice teased. " I know how you feel, demigod."

" Show yourself." I choked.

The shadows swirled together to create a tall man. His skin was nearly white, while his black hair fluttered in the wind. On his head, a crown of bones seemed to loom at me. His robes were long, and when the wind whispered through them, i saw the faces of poor souls. Scenes of torture, and waste lands of the dead. His bare feet stood on the now frozen ground.

" Hades." I breathed.

" Why yes, little demigod."

" What do you want with me?"

" What would i want with you?" You know, it always amuses me how much mortals think of themselves. And i assure you, it's very hard to amuse me. I came, for something your brother has. Something i would very much like back."

" What do want then?" I said more confidently.

" I think you already know that. I'm afraid i'll have to delay you a little while."

I felt a tingling sensation come over me. My spine felt as though it was peeling, my neck hairs bristled, and darkness washed over me. I felt my feet hit a floor. Not the soft floor of the forest, but a cold floor of stone. I looked around me. I was in a massive (and i mean massive) room. But it was mostly empty. Two thrones were in the centre of the room. One was large and gold and black with skulls and bones. The other was bronze, and in the shape of a beautiful rose. It wasn't difficult to tell which throne was Hades' throne and which one was Persephone's. Hades walked up to the gold throne and sat down. The rose one remained empty, and i realized that Persephone must be spending time with her mother. Around the room, soldiers from different times stood at attention. Some where Navy officers, with pistols, others were knights with long swords, and some were even African, with long spears. I looked up at Hades. " Why am i here?"

" If you're wondering, we shadow traveled to the Underworld. I only want to ask a few questions..." Hades hissed.

I noticed his hand flick. Flick onto what looked like the handle of a black sword. And i realized. Hades was unsure of me. I was about to demand that he take me back when suddenly the words of my sister flashed through my head " She wouldn't cope. She may seem strong, but really she isn't."

I stepped forward.

" There are two things special to me that i want. Two things your brother has."

I glared at him.

" You know, we really are alike. You are doubted by the people you hold most dear, almost cast aside. You are an outcast. I am doubted by the gods. Cast aside from their precious Olympus, just because i'm different."

" You can quit your sly talk, Hades. My brother has nothing, and if he did, i wouldn't tell." I spat.

But he carried on." I took my throne else where, though. I created the Underworld. A place where the dead, who were now outcasts themselves, could find a home. I put my throne here, and found a wonderful place. You could join me you know."

My eyes widened. I could join Hades. Become powerful. But then i saw Hades smile. There was no truth in that smile. No warmth. I remembered my friends, relying on me without knowing it.

" No."

" Very well."

I thought he'd given up, but then his hand raised.

A picture appeared over his head. I saw Bree. She was running through the woods, shouting my name. I saw her reach the clearing. Then it struck me. Bree was the most likely person who could find me. I could see her. But she couldn'y see me. I knew what to do.

" Hurting you would be useless. You'd never give. But how about your family?" Said Hades.

I ignored him. Instead, i focused on my powers. I focused on the picture, and Bree's face. I felt the electricity surge through me, then...

"Sssttthhh." A hissing noise came from the picture. It became clearer.

' Please Bree' I willed ' look up.'

She did. Her eyes widened. She saw where i was. And she knew how to get to me.

"... So does he have it or not.?" Hades was still talking. He hadn't noticed the connection.

" No." I said.

" Then i'm going to have to ..."

" BANG." The image died, and i stopped looking at the picture of Bree. 

Instead i saw the real thing. She was sat on Argyros. 

" I was able to see the black mist tracing where you'd gone from the last shadow travel." Bree said."Lucky Argyros can shadow travel himself."

I didn't wait to be invited on board. I jumped onto Argyros.

Darkness swirled around me once again and i heard Hades scream in the distance.