Chapter 14 ~ Loner

Nico's POV

Nico was already hating life. And that wasn't a Hades thing. He'd just found out his father was really Hephaestus, and Hades had only blessed him with his powers because Zeus told him to for some obvious inconvenient reason. It wasn't the fact that he had a different father that annoyed him (Hades hardly stayed in touch anyway) it was the fact that no one had bothered to tell him. And now, lucky him, there was a prom night. Why? This was a fight monsters and quest doing camp. Not some high school nightmare.

Nico was currently sat on the top of the Hephaestus cabin. He figured that he might as well go here if he wasn't welcome at the Hades cabin anymore. Oh yeah, another thing to add to the depressive list, everyone hated him. All because he'd helped Bree to stand her ground against Cai. Plus everyone suspected him of bringing that Massive hellhound into camp. Great. 

He looked out to the pavilion. He heard singing and laughter. The singing sounded like Cai. Nico just wished he had a friend, someone that understood him. It wasn't that he hated being alone (he'd learned to deal with that) it was that nobody really cared either.

A figure walked out of the pavilion. It was obviously a girl, you could tell by the dress and hair, but she wasn't exactly walking elegantly. In fact, she stomped over the grounds. She kept pulling at her dress and muttering to herself. He noticed that she was heading to the Hades cabin. Nico was about to stop her and ask what he was doing when he realized that the Hades cabin wasn't his home anymore, so he had no right to ask for identification. The girl disappeared in the cabin and didn't come out for a few minutes. When she did, she wasn't wearing a dress, she had ripped shorts, knee high hunting boots and an orange t-shirt. Her hair was cut short. There was only one person who could change that quickly. Bree.

" Hey, Bree. " He yelled to her. She turned in his direction, and walked slowly over. When she reached the cabin, she scrambled up to the roof and sat next to him.

" Who are you Nico?"

The question surprised him. What did it matter to her?

" Oh, ah, sorry. It came out weirder than expected. I mean, i know nothing about you at all, and yet you tried to stop a hellhound from passably tearing me to shreds and stood up for me against Cai by using lethal smoke."

He looked at her. She wasn't shy. In fact he didn't think being shy was an option for her. Only a few day's ago she'd found out her dad was a god and that she had extraordinary weapons and powers. And all of this was thrown upon her. Plus she deserved to know the word that was going around. The word about the lightning bolt.

" Welll, both of you need to be alive forrrr..."

" What?"

" Well i don't think anyone told you because we wanted to stop you from doing something stupid, but..."

" WHAT?!!!"

" Percy's been down lately because he's been accused of stealing Zeus's lightning bolt and your mom might be dead. Just a little." Nico rushed this all in one breath.

" WHAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT?????!!!!" Bree yelled.

" Like i said, it was to stop you from doing something stupid."

" Nobody thought to tell us this little note! i just found out i have a mum and now she's dead?"

" Maybe."

" What do you mean, maybe?"

" I can tell if someone has died, you can too, but i have more practise in it. I don't think she's dead."

" Wow. I got a mum, found out she's dead and was told she's now alive in a few short day's." Bree raised her eyebrows.

" Really, i could tell if she'd died or not, and i don't think she's dead."

Bree swung her legs.

" Fair enough. But what was the thing you said about the lightning bolt?"

" Percy's been falsely accused, so i expect there will be a quest to sort some stuff out."

" What stuff?"

" How should i know?"

Nico looked at her closely. He wondered why she'd stomped out of the pavilion. Bree noticed him and he went red.

" Uhh, why did you look mad a few minutes ago?"

She sighed.

" It's just, i'm not a fan of prom's. I mean, really, a prom?"

" I know, it's weird."

Someone called to Bree through the pavilion.

" Well, i'll see you again in a few day's on the track."

" Huh?"

" It's chariot racing soon, we always get a few day's off to prepare."

" Oh, okkayyyyyyy."

She jumped down to the ground.

" See ya 'round Nico." She said, and she sprinted off.