21. The Tutor

21

We all sat at the table and I braced myself for what was to come.

"So, Carson, I hear that you have a lot of possible academic scholarship opportunities." Renee said smiling.

I knew that Carson wasn't really smiling and he was faking it, but they would never know the difference.

"Yes, I do. I'm very fortunate."

Renee then turned to me. "And what about you Gracie? How are you doing in school?"

"Oh, um...well I suppose."

"You suppose?"

"Yes, I suppose I'm doing okay." I shrugged. "I guess you can ask Carson though, because he's my tutor."

"Oh, that's so nice of you that you tutor your girlfriend."

"Yeah, I'm not the brightest crayon in the box, and that's just how we met is that he's been my tutor all year."

Renee looked a little more shocked at my explanation. I think she was expecting us to already have been together then he would help me occasionally. Not that I was dumber than a sack of potatoes, as Carson would so kindly put it.

"Wait, Carson was your tutor before you started dating?"

"Yeah, and I'm pretty sure that he hated me too." I smiled.

"I did." Carson said going along.

The whole table, except for Mariah, looked at us dumbfounded.

"Hi, I'm my name is Sierra, and I'll be your server tonight, can I start you out with some drinks?" The waitress said, breaking the awkward stare, I so gladly created.

"Yes, I'll have a Shirley temple." I said smiling. She gingerly wrote it down, then turned to Carson and everyone else.

They all ordered and snapped out of it.

The adults then started talking and I looked at Sasha, who was sitting across from me. She was staring, kind of glaring at me. "Can I help you?" I asked, raising my eyebrows.

"I don't understand it." She said shrugging.

"Understand what?"

"I was under the impression that Carson was this well brought up, smart guy, and you just don't seem like his type."

"Well, what do you think his type is?"

"Smart. Not so...crazy."

"You've known me for a few minutes and you've already deemed me crazy?"

That's when Mariah piped up. "Gracie, you are a little weird, and I can say that as your best friend." Then she went back to drawing on her little paper the restaurant provided.

"You're not helping!"

She looked up and shrugged, then continued her coloring. I rolled my eyes.

"Well, it's just weird to me, but I mean if you both are happy together then who am I to say otherwise."

"Thank you." I smiled and she smiled back. It didn't touch her eyes though.

"So, are you both pretty serious though?" Keith asked.

"I believe so." I replied.

Carson took my hand under the table and squeezed lightly.

"Too bad." He mumbled. If I heard him, Carson definitely did.

"Have something to say Keith?" Carson asked.

Keith smirked and took a sip of his drink. "Nope."