08.

[C H A P T E R E I G H T]- B U R Y M E -

- B U R Y M E -

Cadmus lays Missy on Deaton's table as Scott and Deaton take care of the Australian Shepherd. Isaac stands next to the table and watches, Cadmus shifting himself to the exit. Today was the day, where Cadmus had to make his decision.

"Why does it smell like that?" Isaac asks them.

Scott frowns and looks at Cadmus. Deaton continues the examination. The youngest eyes were watery, his bottom lip quivering.

"Scott asked almost the same thing to me a few months ago," Deaton says.

Scott explains to him what Deaton said, "We can smell the difference between which animals were getting better and which ones were not."

"She's not getting better is she?" Isaac asks.

Cadmus almost let's out another sob, he's been crying so much recently. He grew up with Missy and now he's losing her.

"Like cancer," Cadmus says quietly.

Cadmus puts his face in his hands and sniffles. Isaac instantly regrets his words.

"Osteoarcoma," Deaton tells them. "It has a very distinct scent, doesn't it?"

Scott motions Isaac over and he obeys. Scott grabs his hand and rests it on Missy. Isaac takes away her pain, and tears up.

"Can you two step out for a minute?" Cadmus asks and they leave.

"I assume you made a decision," Deaton says.

"I don't want her to suffer anymore," Cadmus tells him. "You can do it."

"You can wait outside if you want."

"No, I have to be with her," he sniffles.

Deaton nods and grabs the syringe, Cadmus comforting his dog. After the pain was over, Cadmus lifts the dog on his shoulder. He carries her out to his car, while Scott and Isaac ask Deaton about what just happened.

Cadmus drives home and lays Missy on the dog bed. Matthew walks into the room, not knowing whether this will lead to a fight or not. He just wants to make sure his kid is alright.

"How did the vet go?"

Cadmus turns with an angry expression. Matthew sighs, thinking it'll lead to a fight. Instead, Cadmus rushes into his arms and cries more. Matthew, taken into shock, hesitates before hugging his son.

"She was in too much pain, I-I had to."

"I know Cad," Matthew soothes and rubs his back. "How about we sit down, and have a long talk."

After talking with his dad for a while, the relationship was starting to get better

After talking with his dad for a while, the relationship was starting to get better. He could tell his father anything with no regrets. All because of Lydia and his mother. Before they could talk further, Matthew receives a call from Chris. There was a new hunt that Chris needed Matthew for.

"I have to go, Cad. Chris needs me for a hunt," Matthew tells him. "Stay here. Please."

"What are you hunting?" Cadmus asks.

"The Kanima."

Shit.

Cadmus follows his father, as well as he can considering who his father is. They went to some warehouse area, where the crowd was a mix of hunters and supernatural.

"This is about survival," Cadmus doesn't recall who said it.

Cadmus shows himself, watching the scene. Allison was pointing her crossbow at Derek, it was like she was completely under the control of her grandfather. Under Gerard's control, Jackson turns into the Kanima.

"Do it! Kill them!" Gerard yells

"I'm sorry Chris, but I have to save my son and his friends," Matthew says and aims the gun at Gerard.

The Kanima manages to slip behind everyone. It's tail goes clean through, stabbing Matthew in the chest. Cadmus rushes over as the Kanima pulls out its tail. He catches his father and lays him down softly.

"Did I ever tell you that you look like your mother?"

Cadmus smiles, "No, but I like it."

"Can you show me?"

Cadmus nods and slowly, his skin turns blue. His eyes change to green and his claws come out. Matthew lets out a chuckle as his hand rests on his sons face.

"You look like her in both forms," he comments.

Cadmus let his tears fall as he holds the pale man. Both were crying, but Matthew knew his son will be stronger.

"I love you, Cad."

"I love you too."

Within a day, Cadmus lost his entire family. His mother when he was young, and now his first friend and his father. Just as they were beginning to have a relationship it gets screwed up. Cadmus wanted revenge.

Cadmus stands up, and glares at the Kanima. Gerard was shocked to see a species like him. He hasn't seen one since he himself was a teenager. The two monsters started to fight, and both got in big blows. Cadmus grabs the tail and slams him into the wall, and the Kanima slashes Cadmus' arm. The whole fight had him raging, and the rest of what happened had Cadmus blacked out.

He doesn't remember the rest, but he remembers what happened after. Chris helps Cadmus by taking Matthew to the house and burying him. He then gives Cadmus an online copy of the bestiary.

It wasn't until he left the teen alone that he realized what it felt like to be truly alone.