16.

[ C H A P T E R S I X T E E N ]- L O N E L Y -

- L O N E L Y -

The redhead knocks on the Dubois door, waiting patiently for it to open. She assumed they were home by the car in the driveway. Cadmus opens the door to see the girl, and invites her inside.

"Hi, uh... my name's Alleigh Santiago."

"Cadmus," he introduces himself and Miriam comes over. "This is Miriam."

Alleigh looks at the Vietnamese girl with a sad smile. Her eyes wander back to her hands as she twirled her fingers.

"I heard you were the one that found my cousin's body in the woods," Alleigh admits. "So I stole your file to find you."

"Is she talking about the senior, Kyle?"

Cadmus nods, "I'm sorry if that's how you had to see your cousin."

"It was his birthday, the day you found him. He finally turned eighteen, he didn't even live long enough to see himself turn eighteen."

Alleigh shifts her eyes to scan the room, before finding a wall full of family photos. She stands and walks over, putting her hand up to one and glancing at Cadmus.

"Who are they?"

"My parents."

"Are they coming home soon?"

Miriam shifts awkwardly in her spot. She was intrigued by the topic, as she and Cadmus never discussed his parents. By the look on Cadmus' face, it wasn't anything good.

"My maman was murdered when I was six, my papa died three months ago." Cadmus mumbles.

"What were their names?" Alleigh asks.

"Emeraude and Matthew Dubois."

"D-Dubois?" Alleigh looks shocked and then it turns to disgust. "You're the were jaguar that killed his parents?"

"What? Cadmus is that true?"

Alleigh grabs a dagger from her pocket and gets in a battle stance. Cadmus takes a glance at the dagger and his mouth goes agape.

"You're the hunter that attacked us!"

Alleigh lunges to the boy, who dodges easily. He lets out a growl but doesn't shift, causing her to attack again. He moves again, and in response she kicks his leg. Cadmus kneels and she twists his arm, putting her dagger against his throat.

"Why did you kill your parents?"

"I didn't," Cadmus says. "Miriam help!"

Miriam stands there, shocked. She was watching it all go down, and she didn't know who was telling the truth. After all, Cadmus could've been a killer who was deceiving her all along. She also put too much trust in him, when she shouldn't have. But they need each other.