Born to Shine (29)

"Oh hell no," I said to Shane firmly, there was no way that I was getting out of the car and going inside.

"Your acting like this is meet the parents," Shane reasoned, "For that you'd have to be my girlfriend."

Girlfriend?

Wait. Lizzie, breathe. I would have to be his girlfriend.

"No Shane!"

"Why?"

"Yes, why?"

"Fine, I promised my little sister," he unveiled. I raised my eyebrow at him, he has a little sister?

"You have a sister?" I asked him.

"A little sister and brother," he answered. I nodded slightly, it just occurred to me I didn't know a thing about Shane's family and that he knew everything about mine.

"How old are they?" I asked, my voice was nearly silent.

"Mitchie is nine and Kevin is fifteen - Lizzie are you okay?" Shane said, his voice became concerned.

I don't know why I was like this, but then again it was family. Something I didn't have.

I shook my head, I'm not going to behave like this.

"I'm fine, just thinking," I said smoothly, my voice was surprisingly coming out right.

Shane gave me one sceptical look but then shrugged. He opened the door to get out of the car and I did the same, I got out and then my guitar from the back.

It was my protection. I sighed as I looked at the house before me, it was like it was mocking me. The house was normal, it had a rose bush in the front lawn and the house itself looked about three storey. It didn't look too expensive neither did it look shabby, just perfect.

I frowned at the mockingly normal house and then followed close behind Shane, who seemed to notice my anxiety. We stopped in front of the red door and Shane reached into his pockets to get his keys.

I just stood, waiting looking at red door. It was looking intimidating which was completely absurd.

It's all in my head.

I felt a warm hand envelop mine, sending in sparks of electricity, warming my soul and making me calm. I looked up and saw Shane looking down at me, I couldn't decipher what expression had accommodated his features.

"Iz, you have nothing to worrying about it's going to be fine, they aren't going to bite," He reassured, he gave my hand a tight squeeze but didn't let go, neither did he open the door.

"I know, I know," I said, I felt pathetic. I was being pathetic but I felt better and that I could go through this with Shane. I was beginning to rely on him and I can't do that.

So much for keeping my distance.

"Then what's wrong?" He asked, he was now confused.

"They're a family Shane," I whispered pathetically and then looked down at the ground. I took a few deep breaths to snap myself out of it and for my racing heart to calm down.

It was then I realised that my heart was beating for a different reason, Shane's bigger hand still had my smaller one captive.

I then felt his other hand under my chin, he brought my face up so we had eye contact and brushed away a stray tendril behind my ear.