Born to Shine (35)

*~ Shane's POV ~*

I killed them, in that accident three years ago. It was the same accident that Madison died in, meaning I killed her too. Benjamin and Cameron McGaugh died an instant death. Audrey was injured and died a from a broken heart. I got Lizzie into that coma.

I can't help but fuck up her life can I? Even before I knew she existed, before any of us became famous. But that is not what's irked me. I didn't have the slightest chance of being with Lizzie now, forget that I wouldn't be able to be a mere acquaintance to her. I could imagine her looking at me with such hate and disgust.

And to think she even liked me... all of her feelings must've gone but that doesn't stop mine from growing... It was killing me to find out if she was at least alright, but who am I kidding? I'll never be able to erase the torn look that was on her face before I was dragged off the premises.

Every chance I had of being with her are gone, unless there's some sort of loop hole that could get my ass out of here. I mean that there were five cars in said accident so what are the chances I am the killer? And who decided to press charges against me now? It couldn't be Lizzie and I highly doubt that it would be Marco and Kaitlyn. Also it wouldn't make sense if it was either Matt, Jamie or Lucas... they are involved in this shit too. And of course it couldn't be Madison either she too dying in the same accident... I killed my girlfriend too? Why didn't they say that when they arrested me?

None of this makes sense!

I leaned back on the crumbling cell wall and ran my fingers, for about the millionth time, through my hair. I pushed all feelings away, the guilt and everything else is too much to deal with right now.

I had talked to my attorney - Robert Walker, he seemed as surprised as I was about this case. I was due to go in court next week, Lizzie was going to be present in court next week as well. So will all of the victims of the crash.

I just hope by then Lizzie hasn't found a way to utterly despise me and hopefully she'll find some sort of loop hole.

 *~ Lizzie's POV ~*

It had been a week, one long tortuous week. The fundraiser had been cancelled until further notice not that I cared anyway.

I wanted to know who pressed these charges but it was an anonymous source someone who was in the accident as well. It wasn't Marco, I had talked to him after a couple days when I finally pulled myself together. Lucas, Jamie and Matt had been arrested as well, just less harshly. They all tried to talk to me, to apologize but what is that going to change?

Fate isn't set to stone, you get to make decisions that affect your whole future. As sick as it sounds, I wouldn't have really met Shane if this crash didn't happen. I wouldn't have had plans to become famous so quickly yet here I am. Broken hearted Lizzie McGaugh, the orphan girl who wrote so many sad songs was in love.

Yes, it was finally true.

The thought made me smile and cringe at the same thing, I guess the idea of love seems a little... odd. But that text,

(I) am so (l)ucky t(o) ha(v)e a fri(e)nd like yo(u).

They aren't typos are they? They seem more deliberate then actually just typos. So does he? The thought made me want to smile but I still couldn't find myself to do that. I still wanted him to tell me. I needed to tell him. We also need to find a loop hole.

"Hey Liz, the phone is for you..." Trisha trailed as her head peered into my room. I looked up from my guitar and shakes out all thoughts from my head. I gave a quizzical look before I understood what she had said.

"Who is it?" I quietly inquired. She hesitated.

Is hesitation good or bad?

"It's Shane," she told me. I eyes opened almost fractionally. Shane? On the phone? How?