Born to Shine (37)

*~ Shane's POV ~*

"C'mon Shane, time to go," Robert, my attorney told me. I made a displeased sound at the back of my throat, not at all liking the situation.

Mark is such an asshole.

I exited the minute bathroom that I was provided with, after being unable to shower for a week or even shave they seem to come to their senses and finally let me look human again. I closed the door with a little too much force than necessary and stood beside the man I hoped that would get me out of this case.

"What are you going to plead?" Robert inquired curiously. I shrugged, I didn't want to be guilty but did I have evidence that I didn't do it? No I do not.

"Even if I said I wasn't guilty, what evidence do I have to prove that?" I asked, my thoughts somewhat said aloud. He took that into consideration and just stayed quiet. I just hoped he had some sort of plan to get me out of this.

*

The courtroom settled, the jury was settled and the witnesses, the defending party and the plaintiffs party. The judge sat on his podium looking more weary than everything else and hit his little hammer on the table assembling the court.

"Please may the attorneys introduce themselves and their case," The white haired judge spoke. The man, who lead the plaintiffs party stood up from his seat and stood in the vacant area in front of the Judge's podium.

"I am Gregory Harvey, representation of the McGaugh family and also given the permission to be speaking on behalf of the witnesses families," The auburn haired introduced, angling himself towards the jury and witnesses. The Judge nodded and gave him a gesture to resit; Robert then stood up.

"I am Robert walker and today I shall be defending my client, Shane Ashby using whatever in my will to prove him innocent," Robert said in all professionalism. Again the judge nodded, and gestured him to sit down. the plaintiffs party started, Gregory stood and up presented evidence aka my record. Since it wasn't clean, it made more sense that I had caused the accident being drunk as I had been arrested for said charges.

"May I call Mr Shane Ashby to the stand?" Gregory then suddenly called out.

"You may," The Judge agreed, I raised hesitantly from my seat and walked to the smaller podium besides the Judge's. Which finally gave me the chance to see who was actually present. There was Marco in the witnesses, Lucas, Matt and Jamie sitting on the side in plain suits and there was no... Lizzie. I frowned; I accepted the fact she wasn't going to show up, I don't blame her but there was l that little part of me that just hoped.

A man approached me, I guessed it was the clerk man. I sighed discreetly, how am I supposed to do vows to say nothing but the truth when I was drunk and couldn't even remember anything.

"Do you solemnly swear that you will tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, under pains and penalties of perjury?" the courtroom clerk questioned giving no introduction, his face expressionless as he stared intently at me. I nodded and placed my hand on my heart and repeated the lines.

"I solemnly swear that I will tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but truth, under pains and penalties of perjury," I vowed. Giving a brisk nod, he hurried away back to his allocated seat.

In speculation on what to ask me, Gregory paced in front of the two podiums and paused when he opened his mouth. However, the sound was stolen away, it was like a movie; the doors would open dramatically indicating the arrival of the savior.

If that was the case, I was the dude in distress; Lizzie strided in and paused. The sudden movements seemed to take my breath away, she stood in sophisticated attire. Short black, smart skirt which I must add emphasized the shape of her legs along with a white blouse. Frills sewn to the top, and the white fabric right around the bodice. Her fiery red hair flew in different directions untamed.

From the look on her face she must've been beyond pissed, her eyes narrowed dangerously towards the judge then to Gregory, not once giving me a look.

Her abrupt arrival caused the already quiet courtroom to become stilled. A pin could drop outside the building and it would be heard.

"Who are you?" The Judge asked, his voice harsh and curiously at the same time.

"I apologise for any inconvenience your honour but I am Lizzie McGaugh, a witness of this case. Before this proceeds please may I be granted permission to speak. I have evidence pleading Shane's innocence," she spoke, her voice loud firm yet enough to send shivers down my spine. I must've been a fool to think, to move on from Lizzie.

The judge was silent for a moment but he spoke, "Granted."

Lizzie nodded appreciated and walked closer towards us. Her hips swaying with her swift movements and clicks of her ankle boots on the linoleum flooring. My pathetic heart started to breath faster than it already was in anticipation. But I wondered. Had she even noticed I'm here? Or is she just going to ignore my existence? But why would she be pleading my innocence and then totally ignore me?