Under the rain.

"I was walking down a park. It was late night and already raining heavily. There was barely any soul roaming around. My friend was willing to pull an all nighter.
Being the supportive friend I am, I went to get us our favorite coffee from the shop near by.

To my luck it was raining. I've always loved rain. The smell of earth after a pour cleared my sorrow.

On my way back,I was happily humming a tune to distract my self from the silence surrounding me. I wanted to match the sound of the droplets falling rapidly onto the dry ground.
But I stopped.
I narrowed my eyes and halted my steps. I walked closer to the figure I thought I saw sitting on a bench.
It wasn't fear that stopped me at first. It was uncertainty. I kept moving forward not intending to be intruding the person's personal space. But my curiosity just wouldn't let go off me.

I stood just a few centimeters away. He seemed young but definitely a few years elder than I am. His face was as pale as the late winters moon. He had his head against the bench and his eyes closed lightly facing the tearful sky.

He didn't seem to notice me at first. My perception of a raining night was always different. It was always excitement, cheerfulness and happiness.
But his pale face, drowned in the tears of the sky explained a different thought of a rainy night.

My hand innocently moved my shield towards his face. He didn't feel my presence until my umbrella shielded his face from the harshly falling rain drops.
I observed how his eye lids slowly started opening like a small bud blooming into a beautiful flower to comprehend the scenario.

His eyes met my umbrella first. He stared at it for what seemed like a second and then they followed my arm until his sparkling eyes met mine.

I could swear that I saw his eyes sparkle. I wasn't sure if it was due to the reflection or fear or just sudden reaction to the situation he was caught in. Or perhaps it was due to the tears that were clinging in there.

He then stood up, abruptly and pushed the umbrella back towards me, protecting the two of us. I smiled at his shocked reaction. He was much taller than I was. I wasn't able to recognize his features since by that time my glasses were already covered with rain droplets that made it difficult for me to see well. But his sparkling eyes were never unseeable. Being the talkative person I am, I decided to speak.
"You are definitely getting sick."
I said smiling at him while removing my glasses to wipe them off.
Seeing blurry is better than not seeing at all. I thought.

"Then why bother giving me your umbrella?" He asked almost sarcastically.

I could admit his question made me think twice. "I wasn't giving it to you. I was just trying to get your attention."

"Okay. You did. Now let me be." He managed to reply while wearing a cold expression that made me shiver under the cold rain drops that are falling rapidly on my back.

"Don't you know who I am." He asked with a serious expression that made me flinch.

"Why'd it matter?" I thought to myself. I was lost in thought as I realized he was walking away.

Without thinking twice I ran behind him and covered him from the rain that has probably already affected him.

He turned back, probably angry now, but before his mouth could utter yet another harsh statement, I unknowingly decided to cut in. "I know who you are." I said.

He rolled his eyes and sighed but he waited for me to finish.

"You're a human. So your identity doesn't matter to me, as long as you're just yet another human being. I know that I don't really know what's going on with you but I was able to comprehend your expression earlier. A rainy day normally represents a happy day to me but it seemed different to you. You gave me a dark feeling about it. Your face is pale. And you're the only one who's able to retrieve its beautiful shades"
I pause. I yell, almost shocked,
"I DO NOT INTEND TO FLIRT"
I could see his mouth curve a bit at one corner. But it doesn't stop me from lecturing him.
"Even in the darkest of nights when there isn't any light, your shadow will disappear and blend with the darkness. You'll stand alone. In the same way, don't let people control you. It's rare to find someone stand by you in a night like this. Full of sadness and loneliness. Don't harm yourself for things that you can't fix. And if you can, then face it. I know I talk a lot but please, stand for your self." He then rolled his eyes.
I flash a smile to his poker expression.

I then immediately push the umbrella to his chest forcing him to hold it. He looks at me. Probably confused. I move a step backwards and smile to him again.
"My place is near, you can have that. I like rain so it wouldn't affect me." As I wanted to run, I again stopped. I turned to the stranger who's still staring at me in confusion.

I put my hand onto the paper bag I had been holding for a while now and took out the coffee that had my name on it.
"This is my favorite coffee. Drink it so as to keep you warm until you get to your destination. Don't forget to get a warm bath and buy medications before getting home for the just in case situations" I said and turned away and began to rush to my place.

But I again stopped mid way. " Aye stranger!" I yelled making his eyes drift from the coffee in his hand and onto  me.
" I don't know if we'll ever meet again. But since prayers come true on rainy days, if we ever do, I pray  you're healthier and happier than ever before. Don't forget to Pray when it rains" I say as I hold my key necklace. I then smiled but this time it was wider and brighter and pulled my hand away from my hoodie's pockets and sent him a small finger heart.
That's when I saw his confused expression turn slowly into a smile that almost said "she's insane."

I then ran towards my place without ever turning back again. And ever since then, we never crossed paths again."

Perhaps fate had a plan I didn't know anything about?