Chapter XIV

(Y/N)'s POV:

I walked over to Victoria as we all rested near the fork in the road think how to get through the town without taking any more casualties than we already suffered. "Victoria." Her ears twitched to my voice as she turned around. "Captain?" I walked over to her and sat next to while looking at the town's buildings appearing over the trees in the distance. "Would it be better to go around the town or face them head on? I've made some insane decisions in the past, but not one of them has ever been like this. I honestly don't think I can keep us all alive if I take us into the gauntlet of fire there." I nodded towards the town as I mentioned it before finishing. She looked at it and started to make that face showing her thinking of something. As she was thinking I looked over to my right to see our captives sitting side by side with a large gap between them with both of them glaring daggers at each other. Before I could say another word Victoria spoke out, "It's easier to travel through the town, yes?" I looked at her and nodded. "It'll be faster to go through it then, but let's stay of the main road." I raised an eyebrow and asked, "As in travel behind the buildings silently and fast as possible?" "Aye!" I leaned my head back and pondered what she mentioned and brought up a possible problem with that. "Let's say we do that. How would we counter the ones with automatic rifles on the rooftops?" She looked at me before she started thinking again. As she did that I looked at the sharpshooters we brought with and mentally counted their numbers. Two, six, twelve, fourteen in total. Splitting them into three groups would not help, but they could easily pick off the rooftop sentries as we make our way through the alleyways in town. We could make a long line as we travel through, best fighters up front, a group of sharpshooters in the front with the prisoners behind them in the middle muffled with some men watching them, and fighters in the rear protecting the rear sharpshooters. Close quarter fighting, perfect! I got up and got Angel Eyes to stop his smoking break and join me. "Alright everyone listen up, and listen well. We're going into the town, but we're going through the alleyways from the way we came to the shore. I want a line front to back lined with swordsmen...and women to protect two groups of seven sharpshooters. The best fighters take the front while the second best watch our rear. Our captives will be in the middle muffled and under guard while we move through. Any questions?" Angel eyes raised his hand holding his pipe. "Two groups of seven?" "Two groups, aye. Each one watches two directions for roof sentries. The front watches forward and to the left while the rear watches the right and our back." He looked at the other shooters who looked at him and nodded before replying, "Fine with us, though Jax's is a great fighter, we would love to have him watch the two here to make sure they don't give us troubles as we move." I looked at Jax and asked, "Mind being the middleman?" He gave a small smirk and nodded in agreement. I looked at Weiss and Winter and asked, "Can any of you two use your magic there to create a barrier for protection?" Weiss stood up and answered, "I can. But I can't hold it for too long." "I only ask that you use it when you need to, you'll be in the rear watching our backs." Winter got up to protest but I beat her to responding. "Winter I know you want to protect your sister, so you'll be next to her two with a few of my men." She put her hand she was raising down and exhaled before responding, "Thank you." "Don't worry about it, I don't need to separate you two any more than I already have." Jax pick some of the others to help you with the two and the rest take your places, we're moving out now." As I walked over to the road that merged with ours Victoria walked up to me and asked, "Captain if you don't mind. I'll take my place next to Winter and Weiss to watch their backs. Someone else can take my place." I looked at her before looking back at Weiss and Winter who were talking to each other about something before replying. "Please don't let them, or you fall behind. I don't want to lose any more of you okay?" She turned away while responding, "You always watched out for your crew captain, this is why we never asked a question about your decisions. You have my word we won't fall behind." She went to the sisters and had them go behind everyone else as we got into formation. Jax gagged the two leaders and lifted them to their feet and kept his sword on Adam while someone else kept theirs on Sienna with two others watching their sides. "Everyone ready?...Let's move out!" Everyone kept a tight formation as we started walking down the road towards the town. The sun started to rise as we got closer to the town signaling us that the night was over. I kept some distance ahead to give them a heads up if something came along. I leaned o against the side of a building and peaked around the corner to see most of the guards walking down the road pointing to something. I didn't care what it was, so I signaled our line to head into the alley I passed to turn there and watch the rooftops. As they started to turn into it I started to get back to the front while hoping whatever the guards were distracted by it would keep them busy for the longest time. We passed two small paths between buildings before we stopped. Several roof sentries were near the edge overlooking us before turning away. We continued moving till a guard stumbled in front of me and looked at the worst time. He managed to alert the sentries before Angel Eye's men took their aim and shot them before they could shoot down below them. The guard who alerted them was now lying on the ground with his throat cut all the way to the spine with my sword dripping blood at the tip. "Stay alert and keep moving!" I said silently, yet loud enough for everyone to hear and pass on to the others. I made my way several feet ahead to check every corner as we made our way down. I heard some fighting going on in the rear, but I had to stick to the plan and keep moving forward.