6

"How as your first day?" Vera asked at lunch. One thing I will say for this place, food was never scarce, if totally bland and tasteless.

"Fine." What could I tell her? Was it normal to not know what the future father of your child looked like? Were they always so cold and clinical when they did it? Mostly I wanted to ask if she knew Kylo Ren, could maybe describe him to me so I could at least knew something about the man.

"It's rough in the beginning, but you'll get used to it."

"Did you really find your first days challenging?" another Breeder asked. She had dark skin and hair, with sharp cheekbones and full lips. The only thing about her appearance that wasn't flawless was her eyes. They were unnaturally pale, the irises so bright and silvery, the whites looked pink by comparison. At first, I thought she was blind, but then I realized she was a Vigilax, a form of human that came from an interspecies pairing far back in the bloodline, one that never sleeps. "I found the job fulfilling straight away."

"Well of course it was fulfilling, but also draining," Vera explained. "That's all I meant."

"Very fulfilling and very filling, am I right?" someone whispered in my ear. It was Anika, pushing her food around her plate uninterestedly.

I almost choked on my water laughing. "Yeah, you could say that."

"That bitch doesn't know what she's talking about. Ignore her, we all do," Anika said. "Her name's Lynx and she thinks she's hot shit because she's the General's Breeder. Everyone says she's the best looking out of all of us, which is why Hux chose her. If you ask I wouldn't risk my child having those freaky eyes."

"How long as she been here?" I asked.

"Four months, and still no child. Not surprising, Hux seems like the kind of guy that doesn't pack a real punch. She hasn't been here long enough to tell anyone how they should feel about this. It's not all getting drilled on your back and unlimited portions, trust me." She took a bite of her food, grimacing at the taste. "This food starts to taste like dirt after a while."

"Have you been here long?"

"I've only been a Breeder for about nine weeks, but I've lived on the planet for years. My older sister was a Breeder before me, and when they took her, they took me too, since I was also 'genetically desirable'. She worked for the General before Hux. But he's not around anymore."

"What happened to him?"

"He was deemed unsuitable for the rank of General in the First Order, was too emotional, became irrational. Got up to some especially unsavory behavior."

"Like what?"

"Well, for one, he had a nasty habit of murdering his Breeders." Her face didn't betray anything, and I didn't have any right to pry. "Enough about me, whose Breeder are you?"

"Kylo Ren."

"Ah, I see, that makes sense, he doesn't seem to be concerned with appearances." When she saw whatever expression was on my and quickly added, "Not that you're not pretty, I'm sure you were the most beautiful woman on your home planet, but when they choose Breeders to work for only one man, as opposed to the ones who copulate with multiple, they tend to pick the most stunning women they can find. Personally, I think you're better for not fitting the mold, more unique. It was more a comment on Ren. People think he might not be into women at all."

I felt silly for feeling hurt about her suggesting I wasn't pretty. That shouldn't matter. In fact, I didn't even know that women could be discriminated against based on appearance, I thought it was all about the genetics, strength and speed, but I guess no one wanted ugly babies.