37

Olga came to collect the three of us going to the banquet that night. Lynx was not one of us since General Hux was off-planet, but for once she didn't look bitter or envious. She didn't pay attention to the story Grandmother Bee read for us that afternoon- one of the most tedious activities we did in the gestation suites. Her dark skin looked particularly ashen, pale eyes focusing on nothing.

"I'm sorry you can't join us," I said quietly as we prepared to leave.

I begged her with my eyes to say something, anything. Let me know she's okay, or tell me to fuck off, whatever she wanted, but Lynx remained silent, and, if not for her gaze meeting mine briefly, I might assume she hadn't heard me.

"Let's go, Astrid," Olga snapped.

"Who is joining us today?" I asked while we walked.

"An assortment of visitors," she drawled. "But not the usual diplomats. These are reporters from all the major systems, here to bring the message of the First Order to the people."

This put a crinkle in my brow, and none of her petty jabs about my appearance, nor seeing how beautiful Anika looked in a long, peach dress, could remove it. Granted, I only had my personal experience, but I assumed the First Order relied on force to win battles, preying on planets with minimal resources and protection and then further disabling them by stealing their able-bodied men and boys for the Stormtrooper program. I couldn't decide if things would be better or worse if they used diplomacy to fight the Republic. Fewer people would die, but it made me sick to think of them showing the Galaxy the propaganda they filmed of new mothers and guards playing board games and acting as if that was the true nature of the First Order.

"Look at me, please," Olga's assistant asked, breaking my chain of thought. "I want to line your eyes."

"Oh, don't bother, she'll probably forget she's wearing it and rub it all off," Olga said snarkily. "Let's just get this lot to the dining hall; we're already running late."

We were halfway down the long corridor that bisected this section of Starkiller when a black-clad guard stopped us. "Where are you going?"

"Where do you think? The banquet."

"Breeders are not allowed to roam the hall without either a Stormtrooper escort or guards trained to handle them."

"I think my assistants and I can take care of a few girls."

He narrowed his eyes. "I don't care what you think you can handle; protocol must be followed."

"You're welcome to join us; we're almost there."

The two stared off for a moment, but eventually he conceded, gesturing for us to walk ahead of him. Anika's bony fingers wrapped around my wrist as she guided me to the front of our group, whispering in my ear, "What was that about?" I shrugged, but she pressed on. "Things have been changing; I thought I imagined it. I don't think they just want Breeders for procreation and parading around for diplomats anymore."

Before I could ask what she meant by that, we reached the dining hall, which was once again converted from a dreary lunchroom into a sprawling, brightly lit banquet hall, but this time, there were ever more decorations including a variety of flags from different systems tied together with the black and red First Order insignia.

With Hux gone, Commander Orion sat in the General's usual seat, Voss (the girl I'd dubbed the new Lynx when I still lived in the Breeder Baraks) at his side, beaming at all the attention she was receiving.

I sat down beside Kylo Ren, who looked more irritated than usual, and I'm sure it had to do with the sheer volume of guests visiting Starkiller Base. The noise of all their voices filled the room with a dull roar, and the horrible acoustics of the impossibly high ceilings only made it more unbearable. If Ren had his way, he'd hold these reporters hostage and make their home planets swear fielty, but instead, he had to drink champagne with them.

"Hello," I said when he didn't greet me.

"I tried to come get you earlier." 

"Excuse me?"

He huffed, turning to face me. "I tried to see you earlier today, take you for a walk, but they wouldn't let me in."

"Things have been getting stricter for Breeders; do you know why?"

Ren didn't respond, looking around briefly before standing up and walking over to Orion, tapping him on the shoulder, interrupting his conversation with two men holding tablets, writing down his answers to their questions. He rolled his eyes at whatever Ren asked him (a gesture I'd never seen used against the fearsome Commander), then nodding in concession.

He returned to me, not smiling, but pleased-looking. "Let's go."

"Where are we going?" I asked, confused.

"Outside."