70

Kylo Ren's POV

We didn't speak as we readied ourselves to meet Supreme Leader Snoke, not even when we showered together. Part of me longed to reach out and caress her naked body, but I didn't dare keep my master waiting, so I settled for watching the steaming water cascade off her light brown skin. We dressed quickly, the silence eery, but I noticed her face seemed strangely calm. She didn't understand how fast this could go bad.

"Are you cold?" I asked as we entered the lift.

"Yes."

Without another word, I removed my cloak and draped it across her shoulders.

"Are you sure?" she asked. "It'll probably drag on the floor since you're so much taller than me."

I smiled, untucking her damp curls from underneath the fabric and pulling her against my chest. "Of course I'm sure, I just wish I thought of it earlier; I would've given you a sweater."

"I wish I could wear your clothes all the time," she whispered. "I love the way you smell."

"What do I smell like?"

Before she could answer, the doors slid open, and I saw Orion's sinister smile, his hands clasped behind his back, jacket open, revealing a large, silver blaster at his hip. Big blaster- probably overcompensating for something.

I stepped forward, keeping Astrid behind me, feeling her small hand pinch the cuff of my sleeve. "Commander."

"Commander."

I wanted to punch that smirk off his fucking mouth. "We have somewhere to be."

"I know; I'm here to escort you."

An involuntary growl ripped out of my throat, making Astrid flinch. "I don't need a babysitter."

I pushed past him, dragging the curly-haired woman along with me, keeping my grip on her wrist tight, but Orion trailed behind us like a swarm of wasps.

"After General Hux's Breeder died, we can't be too careful." He sidled up next to Astrid, grinning down at her as her face turned green, forced to remember that traumatic event, the sadistic bastard. "Wouldn't want anyone to do anything to B-3025. Or for her to do anything to herself."

I stopped short, turning on my heel. "Her name is Astrid," I said, prodding my index finger into her chest. "And we're here, so you can fuck off now."

He chuckled, holding up his hands in mock surrender. "Of course, Commander Ren. Astrid."

As he walked away, Orion flashed her a wink, and she laced her fingers through mine, pressing her cheek to my shoulder. Something felt odd, so, at the last minute, I pushed into his brain, searching for Astrid's stay in the Box. She said it was a random Stormtrooper who attacked her, but she might have lied to keep me from doing anything rash. I saw him bedding prostitutes below deck and on nearby planets, training with some of the captains, eating, sleeping, shitting, but he no memories of him... violating the mother of my child.

Sensing something, he whipped his head around, waving his arm as though swatting at a fly. He glanced back at us briefly, eyes narrowing, before turning the corner and disappearing.

"Is something wrong?" Astrid asked.

I turned to face her, attempting to control my breathing and slow my pulse, but I'm sure my anxiety showed through regardless. I was regressing back to my younger Padawan self, weak and afraid and pathetic.

"No, nothing's wrong." I caressed her cheek, tucking a coil of hair behind her ear. "Are you ready to go inside?"

She stood up straighter, nodding, and I opened the door, placing my hand on her lower back and guiding her into the cavernous room, nostrils flaring when I saw the back of Hux's head standing in front of the hologram of Snoke as though he had any right to be here. I was the grandson of Darth Vader, the Supreme Leader's chosen apprentice, and he was just the first experiment of the Breeder program- and a failed one at that.

I knelt in front of the hologram, gesturing for Astrid to do the same, which she did with a bit of effort, hand cradling her round stomach.

"Rise, and let me look at you."

Astrid rose even faster than me, eager to be off her knees, staring up at my master's damaged façade, green eyes bright and defiant.

"So beautiful, isn't she, young Ren?"

"Yes."

"I'm glad you've enjoyed her; I thought you might."

Hux smirked, tucking his chin to his chest to swallow a chuckle, his thoughts roaring so loud that they physically sucked me in: fantasies of Astrid he used to masturbate, hours spent combing through her files, and one dark, cold memory in the corner of his mind. The blood of his dead Breeder on his clothes, the amniotic sac pulled from her cut-open corpse, his fist clenched in rage as he visited her murderer in the Box. Astrid fought against him as she best she could, his hands groping her chest, wrapping around her throat. He didn't manage to penetrate her- just as she told me- involuntarily ejaculating on her dress instead.

Fire flooded my veins, my eyes nearly bulging out of their sockets. It was like my whole body became a lightsaber, his memories igniting me, and I itched to cut him down.

"Shocking, isn't it?" My head snapped back to the Supreme Leader, ashamed to think he'd read my mind, saw everything I saw. "When we find out our enemies are fully out of our reach."

Astrid looked puzzled, but I understood his meaning. If a lowly Stormtrooper attacked her, I would murder him with zero consequences, if it was a captain or even a commander like Orion, I could get away with it, but a general? No, Hux was off-limits, as much as I hated him, as much as he deserved it, I couldn't kill the man who led our armies, who oversaw the creation of our planet-destroying weapon. The impotence of it all left me trembling.

"I'm overjoyed to see Astrid is still safe after the violence she committed; it'd be a shame if such a spitfire lost her life. Or managed to escape us."

He knew. He knew I tried to help her get off the planet, and of course he did. I couldn't keep any thoughts from him, I never had any privacy, any secrets.

"But Kylo Ren has kept a close eye on you, hasn't he?"

"I have, Supreme-"

"I was speaking to Astrid."

He didn't sound angry- he never did- but my words dried up in my throat, blood draining from my face.

"Yes," she said firmly, infinitely braver than me. "He has."

"Good, good. A delicate flower like you shouldn't wilt away in the gestation suites. As long as you're on Starkiller Base, you should stay with Ren, if that's what you want."

She nodded, but her brow furrowed, and I wondered why. Did she want to go back to her fellow Breeders? Was she sick of me already? No, she said she loved me, and she meant it. I'm Kylo fucking Ren, I don't get insecure.

The hologram of Snoke leaned in closer, his massive face flickering, eyes fluttering closed. "You are carrying a child that's strong with the force, and you will bear another even more powerful." His eyes opened, mouth twisted into something vaguely resembling a grin. "I look forward to a long, prosperous union between you two."

Without ceremony, he disappeared, leaving my Breeder, her attempted rapist, and me alone in the cavernous room.