61

The box. People were whispering about it when I regained consciousness, the tops of my feet trailing down the corridor as two guards dragged me by the upper arms. For months, I'd heard horror stories about the box, and now I was going to experience it myself.

They can't hurt the baby; they can't hurt me.

But I couldn't talk myself out of my fear, a pulse of terror thumping through my limp, tired body. The box broke Anika's spirit, the box drove Lynx insane, it could do the same to me.

Lynx, oh god, I stabbed her, I stabbed her belly, what if I killed her?

"There's the little delinquent."

A hand gripped me by the hair, pulling my chin away from my chest, and I found myself face to face with Captain Phasma's chrome helmet. "Good, you're awake," she said in that infuriatingly cool, modulated voice. "I want you to know who's throwing you in the box. We should've done it a long time ago, but Kylo Ren forbade it." She yanked my head roughly, making my neck ache. "But no one's here to rescue you now, are they B-3025?"

By the time I realized Phasma was using my identification number instead of my name to dehumanize me, she'd already released my hair, opening the door to one of the so-called boxes.

"Throw her in," the captain ordered. "A day or two will do her good. Or maybe five."

The four hands holding me upright flung me forward, the metal connecting painfully with my knees. The doors closed, submerging me in utter darkness. I covered my head with my forearms, bracing myself for whatever they planned to do to me in the box- pelt me with rubber bullets, cover me with insects, shock me with electricity- but nothing came. I stayed in a fetal position for what felt like hours before deciding they decided not to enact their punishment. Maybe Ben managed to protect me after all.

I attempted to push myself onto my feet, only to remember I'd burned my hand on the fireplace grate, stabbing pain shooting all the way from my fingertips to my wrist, making the tendons go rigid. A wail escaped my lips, and I fell onto my shoulder, hugging my hand to my chest.

Alright, don't try and stand up, just lay there and wait this out.

Easier said than done. The silence and darkness became more oppressive with every passing moment, the boredom growing exponentially until it gave way to a new emotion: paranoia.

Hearing a noise in the corner of the room, I whipped my head around, searching in the blackness. It terrified me that there was no difference between the box and the inside of my eyelids. The noise sounded like a whisper or maybe a cough- either way, it belonged to something or to someone.

Keeping my weight off my injured limb, I crawled towards the sound, determined to identify it. As much as it frightened me, I wouldn't allow the Order to spring some trap on me; I needed to confront this threat head-on.

"Ouch!"

I reoiled as my brow slammed into a wall, making my eyes water again. I didn't mean 'head-on' to be so literal.

"Where is it?" I hissed. "I know I heard something."

I crawled around in pitch darkness, trying to identify the source of the noise, knocking my head against the wall over and over again until I swore I cracked my skull. Flopping down onto my back, I hugged myself tightly, trembling with fear.

After a few beats of silence, the noise returned, this time whispering, "I see you."

"Go away, please!" I screamed, kicking into the air, hoping to frighten off the attacker.