13

"I don't think Kylo Ren's gay," I told Anika at lunch. 

"Why, did he do something naughty?"

I giggled, covering my mouth. "Not exactly, but he seemed a little more- I don't know- interested in the physical aspect of it."

"Did he ask you to touch his thing?" she asked in hushed tones. "Did he kiss you? Did he touch your butthole?"

"Ew, why would he want to touch my butthole?"

She shrugged. "Men like him are weird and gross. They're boys who never grew up, and we're the little insects they put under magnifying glasses." Talking with Anika could almost make me forget that I was a captive on Starkiller Base. It reminded me of being on Maslot with some of the women I farmed with. Most of the men in my age group had been taken for the stormtrooper program, so almost all of my close relationships had been with other females. 

The good feelings lasted until today's propaganda.

We sat down in our usual seats, Phasma lingering to the left. It was always unnerving to not know who the stormtroopers were looking at through their tinted masks. Today we were watching videos of recent mothers nursing their babies. This was probably to ease our minds about having our children ripped away from us. At least we get to see them when they're infants.

One of the women on the screen smiled widely, white-blonde hair pushed back from her face, her eyes a startling, pale blue. 

Anika hopped out of her seat, much to my shock, and walked out of the room rather quickly. Without really thinking, I followed her. Once we were out there, stormtroopers surrounded us, hands on the guns at their waists, but it was clear they had no idea how to handle the situation. 

"What's going on?" I asked her, touching Anika's shoulder.

"That's my sister, that's my fucking sister before she got murdered." She put her hands on her knees, hyperventilating. "That's never been on the reel before, they just added it. And they have her smiling. She wasn't happy here; it's not fucking fair." 

"Astrid and Anika." Captain Phasma had exited the room behind us, and I felt a chill run up my spine at her cruel tone. "Why have you two left the presentation?"

"Why did you put my sister on that thing? Was it for my benefit?"

"Careful to whom you speak, girl, I'm not your friend, and I will not hesitate to discipline you in any way I see fit." For the first time, I became aware of how tall and imposing Phasma's form was.

With fire in her sky-blue eyes, Anika spat right in the face of the Captain. "Drop dead."

Wiping off the spittle, Phasma took a firm step closer to us. "You will regret that you little slut." Then, to the other guard, "Seize them."

Before I could even protest, say that I hadn't done anything except try to support my friend (though I doubt the Captain would have much sympathy for that excuse anyway), a stormtrooper grabbed me by the arms, roughly pinning them behind my back. The movement knocked the wind out of me; the only thing holding me up was the guard. 

"Phasma!" Even though I couldn't see his face, I knew it as Kylo Ren. "What are you doing with my Breeder?"

"These two left today's presentation, quite rudely, and they now have to face the consequences for their actions."

His footsteps were distinctive and careful, almost frightening. "I will see to Astrid's punishment."

"Sir, with all due respect, that is very-"

"Release her," he barked at the guard, who did as he was told without hesitation, and I collapsed to the floor. With one gloved hand, he grabbed my upper arm and hauled me to my feet. "You can do whatever you want with the other one," he said callously before dragging me down the hall.

He pushed me into a small interrogation room and I stumbled, barely managing to stay on my feet. After catching my breath, I turned to face him, to thank him. "I appreciate you-"

"What did I tell you?" he growled, coming to me, his dark eyes dangerous. 

"I don't understand."

"I told you to stay away from her, that blonde girl-"

"Her name is Anika!"

Ren was on me in a second, hand around my throat, almost choking me.  He pressed me against the wall, face close enough to mine that I could feel his breath on my cheeks. "You will never speak to me like that again, do you understand?"

I nodded stiffly, unable to speak. He released his grip and I fell to my knees. I expected him to walk away, but he stayed right where he was, so I kept my eyes on the ground.

"Look at me," he commanded.

Reluctantly, I obeyed, feeling almost ashamed at how pathetic I must appear to him. And it made me angry, really angry, for the first time since I'd arrived here. He'd ruined my life, the First Order had ruined my life, and, more than that, ruined the lives of the people of Maslot. Not just my family, but everyone who had their sons stolen to become stormtroopers or parents imprisoned for treason, every family who went hungry after paying the high taxes imposed on us. And I didn't care if he thought I was impetuous, I didn't give a shit what he thought of me.

"Get up," he snapped, and I did, never breaking eye contact with him. Even when I stood at my full height, he towered over me. "You're going to come somewhere with me tonight." He touched the sleeve of my black dress. "But don't wear this, wear the other outfit you were given."

I nodded cautiously, still not looking away. "Am I allowed to return to my barracks, Commander Ren?"

If he was irritated by my passive-aggressiveness, he didn't let on, gesturing for me to leave the room. "I'll walk you back."