58

"Are you feeling better, Astrid?" a doctor asked me, changing the bag on my IV.

"Yes," I said, my voice aching from disuse, face puffy. "Can I go home?" I paused, sitting up and pinching my brow. "Not home, I mean the gestation suites, sorry."

"Don't apologize, it is like home to you now."

I eyed him warily, worrying he was making a mental note of my verbal slip-up, planning to report me later, but I only saw concern. The First Order might have nothing but contempt for their Breeders, but at least the medical professionals treated me like a human being.

"Well, your levels are all regulated, so you're free to leave. I just have to radio up to the suites."

He handed me my black dress and undergarments, turning around so I could dress myself. The garment, which had been baggy when I first arrived, now clung to my baby bump, the fabric stretching thinner and thinner with every passing week. During the insemination period, I felt intense fear at the idea of conceiving, carrying Kylo Ren's baby to term, but now my entire existence revolved around getting Ben's child to safety. I could feel my son kicking, the weight of his tiny body, see his coal-black hair and fluttering lashes in my mind's eye. I didn't allow myself to consider the possibility that I'd give birth on Starkiller Base, that my son would be raised by the Order. No, Ben would save us, he promised he would.

"Where is she?" The shrewish voice of the red-haired harpy caught my attention as she pushed open the door, her amber eyes narrowing when she spotted me. "Come on, Astrid, I don't have all day."

"If she feels any pain or nausea, bring her straight back," the doctor instructed.

"Of course."

She took me by the arm, leading me to a group of Stormtroopers who guarded me on all sides till we returned to the gestation suites.

"I expect you to be on your behavior," she hissed at me as she swiped her keycard. I smirked at their foolishness; if they had an access point on the inside that required a card instead of a key code, I'd have no method of escaping. "We won't tolerate you acting up again."

"Acting up, I was practically poisoned-"

The harpy slammed her hand on the wall, making me jump. "I can't touch you, none of us can, but if you think we don't have ways to make you suffer, you are delusional. You're lucky you have Grandmother Bee taking care of you, and not someone crueler. I don't want any more problems, understand?"

I nodded, jaw clenched so tightly I thought my teeth might shatter. Your time will come; one day, the Resistance will destroy you.

Inside the suites, a figure curled up on one of the armchairs immediately drew my eye. Lynx had returned from the box, a pale, greenish tint to her dark skin, silvery irises shimmering against the bloodshot whites of her eyes, hands practically skeletal.

"Where is everyone?" I asked.

"At dinner, you should join them."

"What about her?" I asked, gesturing to Lynx.

"She's exempt from meals, to keep the peace. Thankfully, not everyone is allergic to nutrition injections like you."

Keep the peace; Grandmother Bee must still be worried about what she'd do to Ariel if she got the chance. But I couldn't imagine the frail Vigilax hurting a fly considering the state she was in. As horrible as my situation was, I felt grateful I at least retained my fighting spirit, my resolve to escape. Everyone from the most rebellious- Anika- to the most devoted- Lynx- were worn down to husks of their former selves. My resilience made me a bug in the system, a bug the First Order would do anything to squash.