51

Kylo Ren's POV

Making the arrangements for Astrid's escape was difficult for a variety of reasons. First off, despite the escape pods being intended emergency situations, they were not ready for use. I had to bring one in to the top floor of Starkiller, just below the surface of the planet, and take it down a maintenance shaft to do some repairs. It'd been months if not years since I did any kind of manual labor or engineering; here, I let others handle the difficult work of repair TIE fighters and armor. But, to preserve the secrecy of my mission, I didn't dare give anyone else the task.

Once I finished the repairs, I had to get the escape pod to a loading dock. The trick was finding an empty one, a difficult feat considering the heavy efforts being put towards militarization, but I finally found one on the southeast quadrant. With each passing day, I grew more and more afraid Snoke would ask to speak with me, knowing I didn't have the power to conceal my thoughts from him.

But, most of all, I struggled to come to terms with the fact that I'd be saying goodbye to Astrid soon. Forever. She'd only been here six months, but I couldn't remember life without her. I spent a lot more time off-planet, searching for Skywalker, hunting down rebel factions. Now those missions seemed like hollow enticement. I wanted her. I wanted her body beneath mine, her bright, green eyes, her fiery spirit. And my son- our son- how could I let him grow up without me? We should raise him together, and have more children, another son, maybe even a daughter. I wanted to grow old with Astrid, watching her face change with age, her hair go grey.

That wouldn't happen, even if she stayed; the Supreme Leader would never allow it. So I preserved, needing her to be safe and happy even if I never saw her again.

I was cutting through roving targets with my saber when Commander Orion joined me in the training room, not dressed for a workout. The blade of my weapon came dangerously close to him several times, but, unlike most people, he barely flinched. Even though I hated the man, I had to admit he had nerves of steel.

"Ren, I need to speak with you."

Sheathing my lightsaber, I pushed my sweatsoaked hair our of my face. "Why, is something wrong?"

"No, but I need you to oversee an execution."

"Why me?"

"Because Hux and I are going to be giving a speech to the intergalactic press."

I grunted, still confused why they bothered trying to comport themselves like honorable leaders while simultaneously murdering diplomats and blowing up entire planets. "Who are we executing this time?"

"A Stormtrooper."

"Since when is a member of leadership needed for the termination of a random soldier."

"Since this particular trooper has been secretly feeding information to the resistance." He watched with satisfaction as my eyes widened with shock. "While Hux and I address the reporters, we'll send a feed of the execution, formally declaring war on the rebel scum. Oh, and afterwards, we'll need your Breeder to voice her support for our cause because this trooper is from her home planet."

My eyes narrowed at this. "He's from Maslot."

"Yes."

"Do you know his name?"

Orion scoffed at the question. "I don't make a habit of learning Stormtroopers' names; I can barely keep the Breeders' names straight."