Chapter 19 - "Personal space, dude."

~ The Turning Point ~ Part One ~

Ronnie's POV

"Did I miss something?" I heard Elena ask as we walked down the halls of our high school. I looked at her in confusion, then my eyes traveled to where she was looking.

"Oh, what the hell?" My face contorted up in disgust as I watched Caroline and Matt flirt with each other.

"They've been hanging out."  Bonnie answered simply as the two blondes walked into their classroom.

"Kind of weird, don't you think?" Elena asked.

"Just weird? It's aliens invading the world kind of weird." I stated, looking over at the brunette.

Bonnie gave me a look. "She needs someone nice like him, as opposed to homicidal vampire like Damon." She said, quite loudly in my opinion.

I gave her a sharp look. "Say it a little louder for the people in the back, why don't ya?"

"How are you doing with all that?" Elena asked in concern.

"I'm freaked out. Damon attacked me. I could be dead right now." Bonnie said, looking over at us as we continued to walk through the crowded halls. "But I'm also grateful."

The look I gave her was filled with confusion. "Grateful for what, exactly?"

"To Stefan." She answered, making my eyes roll so far into the back of my head I started to see stars. "He saved my life, and... have you seen him?" She directed her question towards Elena, who was taking off her green scarf.

"Not since he told me he was leaving." Elena responded, opening her locker. "For all I know, he's already gone."

"I sure hope he is." I crossed my arms, an annoyed look on my face. "The Salvatore brothers will only bring death and destruction. It's better if they're gone."

Bonnie shook her head at me, giving me a disappointed look. "Nice, Ronnie. Real nice." She spoke, making me shrug my shoulders unapologetic. "He wouldn't leave without saying goodbye." Bonnie tried to reassure the lovesick girl.

"Yes, he would." Elena argued. "He thinks he's protecting me. Clean break and all that."

"So what are you gonna do?" My best friend asked, watching Elena grab books from her locker.

"What am I supposed to do?"

"Move on?" I offered, only to be ignored.

"I already begged him not to go. If I ask again, I'm being selfish. It is what it is." She continued speaking, acting like she didn't hear me.

I huffed as we started walking down the halls again.

"Well, maybe it's for the best." Bonnie said, making my eyes widen.

"What the hell, B? That's exactly what I said not even five minutes ago!"

They ignored me once again.

"What? Why?" Elena questioned, her face scrunching up.

"I mean, what kind of future could you have had with him, even if he stayed?" Bonnie stopped in her tracks, us following in suit. I was starting to feel uncomfortable.

Suddenly, a banner fell down right in front of us, the kids holding it spouting out apologies. I looked down at the banner, snorting at the words painted onto it.

The Promise of YOUR future.

"Did you just―"

"No, I swear." Bonnie cut her off.