Chapter 50 - "I'm not going to hide behind you Salvatore's forever."

~ Bad Moon Rising ~ Part Two ~

Ronnie's POV

"Ronnie Tate at a high school party? Are my eyes deceiving me, Matt?" Tyler jokingly looked over at his best friend, both of them holding red solo cups that were no doubt filled with alcohol. "You haven't been to one of these since the bonfire at the beginning of the year."

I rolled my eyes and let out a fake laugh as I shoved my hands into my shorts back pockets, now changed into Caroline's extra swimsuit. "Yeah, well, ya bitch has been busy with grown-up problems. You wouldn't understand."

He smiled, grabbing an empty cup and pouring some beer in it from the keg. "Well, enjoy being a kid again for the night." He handed the cup to me before walking off towards the lake.

Matt looked at me, a contemplative look on his face. "Hey, Ron... Have you heard from Caroline?"

My finger nervously tapped against the cup in my hands. "Um, you know, I haven't really heard anything from her since last night."

"Do you think she's okay? She was acting strange when I saw her yesterday night."

I brought the cup up to my lips, taking a big gulp to calm the nerves from all the questions I wasn't prepared for. "I think she's fine."

Matt let out a sigh, obviously disappointed with my answers. "Okay, thanks anyway. Have fun." He gave me a disheartened smile, then walked away.

"Lord help me," I mumbled to myself as I drank the rest of the beer and looked around the partially crowded swimming hole. Besides Tyler and Matt, there was no one here I was really friends with. I knew the names of some people here, but the rest were just strangers I passed in the halls every morning at school.

I spotted a familiar tan blonde who I hadn't seen since Sebastian broke up with her. There was Lindsay, standing in all her gorgeous glory talking to one of the cheerleaders, Amy Bradley. I had never personally talked to Amy, as I never had a reason to, but according to Caroline, she was a bit of an... outgoing person with men, very outgoing.

Lindsay spotted me staring and raised a single perfectly plucked brow, before looking to Amy and saying something before starting to make her way towards me. My eyes widened just a fraction in panic, having not meant to space out and stare at her for as long as I did. "Hey, Ronnie." She smirked once she reached me, putting her hands on her hips. "Didn't take you for a party person."

"I was, once. Not really one anymore, though." I answered awkwardly, almost confused by her civil attitude. By now, she should've thrown ten insults my way and last time I checked, we severely disliked each other.

She tilted her head, "How come?"

I shrugged lightly, taking a sip from my cup. "Got too caught up in problems, you know?"

Lindsay nodded, walking closer towards me and grabbing a red solo cup from the back of the car I was standing in front of. She held it under the tap as she started talking, "You should come out more. Everyone deserves to let loose and have fun once and a while. You can't let your problems control you."

"Since when are you nice?" I gave her a suspicious look.

She chuckled, rolling her eyes and taking a large gulp of beer from her cup. "I'm nice. I just wasn't to you because I liked Sebastian so much and I thought he liked you. I was jealous of you." She shrugged as if it was nothing. "Girls always pit themselves against each other over guys-- it's sad but true. I realized what a fool I made of myself after Bash broke off whatever we had. I've actually been meaning to catch up with you and tell you I'm sorry."