Chapter 35 - "We're just friends."

~ Under Control ~ Part One ~

Ronnie's POV

"I understand why I have to go the Founder's Day Kick-Off but do I really need to?" I questioned my father with an annoyed look on my face. I grabbed my toast from the toaster, walking over to the counter and sitting it on a small plate. As I spread some jelly on the toast, my father gave me a look.

"Yes, Ronnie, you really need to." He sighed, his eyes going back to the newspaper he was reading. "It's tradition. The Tate's have been a part of this town for over a century." I knew what he was going to say next, he says it every year when I try to opt out. "We are a founding family, after all." We both said at the same time.

I rolled my eyes dramatically, grabbing my plate and walking towards the dining table. "Come on, I go every year and it's not like anyone will miss me. I'm sure they'll be thankful that I'm not there." I said, thinking back to all the trouble I had caused at the past Founder's Day Kick-Off's.

Last year, I got so drunk with Tyler we decided to go skinny-dipping in the pool that was on the estate. It was so cold that night we almost got hypothermia. I got grounded for two months because of the little stunt my alcohol-induced self decided to pull.

"Veronica, don't argue with your father." Molly scolded me as she walked into the room, looking as poised as ever. She was putting on her pearl earrings as she walked into the kitchen, her heels making annoying clacks with every step she took.

She got back from her "work trip" just after Vicki's funeral. She wouldn't tell me any details, no matter how much I tried to pressure her into telling me.

I just ignored her, taking a big bite out of my toast, knowing my unladylike manners would disgust her. Just as I expected, she let out a revolted sound, her eyes staring at my face with annoyance. "Where's Lucas?" I asked after swallowing my food.

"Probably still asleep." Mother sighed, her eyes on her phone as she typed away. "Listen, I have to get to the Founder's Hall. The council is having a meeting and I thought I would go to one for old time's sake." She spoke, her eyes going between my father and me for a couple of seconds. I narrowed my eyes at her, knowing what the council meeting's actually are.

Dad nodded absentmindedly, sitting the newspaper down and getting up. "I have to head to work. Got a big case I'm working on." He informed us, putting his gun in the holster that rested on his hip. He walked over to me and kissed me on top of my forehead, saying a quick goodbye. He didn't give my mother a kiss, only a nod and farewell.

I watched him walked down the hall and out the front door before looking to Molly and raising a brow. "Still in the doghouse?" My voice was amused, and I knew she could tell I was enjoying this, as sick as it sounds. But, hey. She deserves to be in the doghouse.

She gave me her signature icy smile, her glare as sharp as a needle. "You've been slacking on your training. I know you didn't do anything while I was gone."

My face scrunched up into a wince and I took another bite of my toast, raising my shoulders while saying, "Sorry?" In a pathetic voice. I didn't know how she knew I didn't do anything while she was gone, and honestly, I don't wanna. 

She clicked her tongue, her glare hardening. "I don't understand, Ronnie. You said you wanted me to train you, yet you won't take it seriously."

"Exactly, I said I wanted you to train me, but so far, you haven't been here enough to train me." I finished off the last of my toast, standing up from the chair. "I have to get to school." I grumbled, about to walk out of the kitchen when she called me back.