Chapter 45 - Ignorance is bliss

~ The Return ~ Part One ~

Ronnie's POV

"Did you have fun with Posie?" I quickly glanced over at my brother as I drove down the dark roads, heading towards our house which was sadly twenty minutes away from Sebastian's.

Lucas nodded, the painting of a tiger on his face now almost completely wiped off. No doubt from running around in the humid Virginia air, then laying his face on a pillow. "Yeah, Sofia made us dinner. I think she should've been a cook instead of a doctor because her food is awesome, but that's none of my business."

A laugh came out of my mouth just as my phone rang from the glove compartment. I had put it in there earlier before I got on the float so I didn't have to lug it around. "Luke, get that for me." I said, keeping my eyes on the road.

He grumbled as he dug through the glove compartment and grabbed my phone. He clicked the answer button and put it on speaker, shrugging when I gave him a look for not giving it to me. "Hello?"

"Ronnie..." It was Bonnie.

"What the hell do you want, Bonnie?"

Lucas gasped from beside me, making me assume he didn't look at the caller ID when he answered, otherwise this reaction would've come a lot sooner. "Bonnie, my love! I've missed you so much!"

Bonnie let out a quiet chuckle, "I missed you too, Luke." She said softly. "Let me speak to your sister, please."

A disappointed look passed his face as he handed the cell phone to me. I grabbed it as we came upon a stop light, taking the phone off speaker and pressing it against my ear. "What do you need Bonnie? To stab another knife in my back?" When I said that, Lucas hit my arm, upset I had been rude to his crush. I slapped his hands away, pulling the phone away from my ear, "I am driving." I hissed.

"We're at a stoplight." He crossed his arms and sat back in his seat, a pout on his face.

"Ronnie? Did you hear what I said?"

"No, Lucas was being a bitch." I glared over at my brother as the light in front of us turned green. "If it's worth repeating, then go ahead. But if it's just you apologizing again, then save your breath."

"I get your mad at me, Ronnie. But this isn't about us right now. It's about Caroline."

"Caroline? Is she okay?" I perked up at the name of the girl I had gotten closer to over the past few months.

"Matt called me earlier, he was in a car wreck with Caroline and Tyler. But, Ronnie, Tyler was the one driving and he-- he heard this noise and I think it was the device..."

"Tyler? What, do you think he's a..." I glanced over at my brother, choosing my next words carefully. "V-word?"

"Virgin?" Lucas peered over at me.

"Zip it, nosy." I snapped at him, pulling the phone away from my mouth so Bonnie wouldn't hear me.

"I don't know, Ronnie, but Caroline is hurt. Like bad. I think you need to come to the hospital." Her voice trembled slightly, almost unnoticeable.

Even though I was terribly mad at her right now, I wasn't going to let my anger get in the way of making sure Caroline was okay. "I'll be there in ten." I hung up the phone, turning the car around and heading towards the hospital.

"Where are we going?"

"The hospital."

~~~~~