Chapter 25 - "I have a perfectly stable temper."

~ Children of the Damned ~ Part One ~ 

Ronnie's POV

"So your dad's working late and your brother is at baseball practice, but afterward he's hanging out with a friend," Molly said as we walked into our house. I had just been discharged from the hospital and I just wanted to get into bed and disappear. My body was aching terribly and I had a very bad headache.

"Dad always works late," I mumbled like it was nothing new to me. "But Luke staying with a friend is new. I always assumed the only friends he had were imaginary." I tried to joke, but she only looked at me blankly. "Joke, mom. It was a joke." When I turned away from her, I rolled my eyes. She's never had a sense of humor.

I walked up the stairs, headed towards my room. I slowed my pace when I heard the sound of heels clicking on the ground behind me. I turned my head around, seeing my mom right behind me. I gave her a weird look and she only shrugged. When I got to my room, I tried to close my door, but she pressed her hand against it, pushing it open with ease. "What do you want?"

"For you to work on your attitude." She retorted, crossing her arms with her hip jutted out. "I wanted to see if you needed anything."

"You couldn't have asked me that when we were downstairs?" I sat down on my bed, kicking my shoes off. Maybe I could convince her to clean my room.

She sighed and rolled her eyes, a look on her face I had seen every day of my life. It was sort of a mix of disappointment and annoyance. "Veronica, I'm only trying to be nice."

"I didn't know nice was in your vocabulary." I said sarcastically, but of course, she took it seriously. I think I got my sarcasm from my father because she definitely couldn't tell the difference between seriousness and sarcasm.

Molly turned to walk out of my room, but I quickly called her back. "There actually is something you could do for me." I grumbled, hating to ask her for anything.

She turned around, an almost smug look on her face. "Yes?"

I stood up quickly, causing me to be dizzy for a second. Once I recuperated, I crossed my arms, looking her in the eye to show her I was serious. How was I supposed to even say this? I decided to just get straight to the point. "I want you to teach me how to fight." I demanded, making her raise a brow. From what I read in her journals, she never wanted her kids to learn how to fight, at least not fight the supernatural. "I'm serious, mom. I'm tired of feeling helpless. When that vampire was kicking my ass, I felt so weak. I hate that someone always has to come and rescue me. I, for one, hate that feeling. I'm tired of being a damsel in distress. I want to feel stronger than that."

Molly studied me for a moment, a glint in her eyes that I had never seen. "Five a.m. tomorrow morning. Your training starts then."

     I stayed in my room for the rest of the morning, laying around and reading. I wanted to remember what being lazy feels like because I knew I wouldn't feel that for a long time. When I said I wanted her to teach me to fight, I didn't mean for her to do it so early in the morning. A knock broke me out of my internal complaining. I looked towards the closed door, "I told you I don't need anything, mom!" I yelled out, not wanting to get up.

The door slowly opened and it was not my mother. I looked at the boy in surprise. "Sebastian? What're you doing here?" I was almost embarrassed that he had chosen to visit me when my room was the messiest it's ever been. But then again, I didn't really care.

"My mom discharged you from the hospital. She remembered me mentioning your name and told me about what happened." He said, awkwardly standing at the door, not sure what to do.