one - "i wish i let my mum stay"

I fall square on my ass, letting out an annoyed sigh as I finally manage to get my arm through the sleeve of my yellow jacket

I fall square on my ass, letting out an annoyed sigh as I finally manage to get my arm through the sleeve of my yellow jacket. At the age of not-so young eighteen, I still struggle to do simple tasks like putting on a jacket.

"What was that noise?" My older brother, Daniel, asks as he walks through my ajar bedroom door. He gives me a knowing look, the outcome of me trying to put a jacket on being a norm to him.

I was jealous of my brother. Throughout our childhood, he only got taller, musclier and more handsome. He made girls fall to their feet with one look, which I found totally dramatic. It wasn't fair that he was blessed with immaculate good looks and I look like the gum you accidentally step on while you make your way down the high street.

My brother was five years older than me and started an apprenticeship at my stepdad's car garage, so he still lived with us. I, however, wanted to go to university and fall in love and get drunk as fuck with my best friend. Oh, and pursue a career in architecture but that's just a side thing. I was more excited about getting smashed at a party than getting good grades and ending up in endless amount of debt.

"Shut up and help me up," I mumble, pushing my jacket over my shoulders so that it lays at the bend of my elbows, something I did very rarely.

"I didn't say anything," Daniel chuckles but holds his hand out to help me nonetheless. I accept it and gracefully get up off of the floor to my room that would surely be more tidy when I come over for breaks. My mum had a serious condition of OCD, it was just self diagnosed.

I get my bag, slinging it over my shoulder as Daniel walks down the stairs. I follow him down and smile at my mum, who was waiting for me by the door.

"You're wearing that to your first day at university?" She asks in disbelief, her eyes confused. I thought my outfit choice was great, actually.

I was wearing some mom-jeans, as well as an oversized white shirt that was tucked in to my jeans, some white socks that were covered by my Doc Martians. I felt edgy. My mum always wanted me to grow up wearing skinny jeans and cropped tops and high heels, just like she did. That's why she think I'm adopted.

Her eyes flicker to the sports bag that had a few pairs of trousers, shirts and shoes in, "and you're taking that tiny bag to your campus room? You've got to be kidding me, you have so much clothes! Why aren't you taking them?"

"Chill, mum," I roll my eyes as I place my hand on the door handle, opening it up. "My plan is to buy some new clothes while I'm living in the big city. Plus, I wanna leave some clothes here too for when I visit."

"Are you sure you got accepted into this uni? Your logic is so confusing," Daniel comments from behind me as I walk through our front door and down to the passenger seat of my mum's car.

"My logic is great, you're just jealous you didn't think of it first," I reply before climbing into my mum's car, putting the bag by my feet and plugging my phone into the aux lead and putting on some music.